View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Hmmm... After reading through these results I am very interested.

At the begining of this post I had mentioned that I would like to try a test with an autobody adhesive. I have done a metal to metal test in the past with this material. If you think the Loctite was amazing... hold on to your britches!

When we tested this at the shop we used 2 frame clamps on a frame rack. One end being stationary the other end hooked up to the pulling post. We made it past 1 1/2 tons, yes TONS, before anything happened. The bond did not break. The metal tore! Honestly if I wouldn't have been the one that applied the adhesive I would have thought this was a bogus test. If you think I am BS'ing you.... I'm not. And I don't work for the company either. If you care to learn more about this adhesive here's a link. I'm going to see if I can find some actual figures as to how expensive this stuff is.

http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1150&pid=5

Chris Nilluka

(Update.... I did some checking around for prices. It seems to be around $30.00 per 7.6 oz. It looks like you would have to buy extra tips and the gun as well. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the human factor is taken out of the equation. You have to have to tips to mix it. You can not mix it by hand. And you have to have the gun. There are two guns, one hand pump and one pneumatic. For out application the hand gun would be sufficient. There's still the big problem of color. Once cured it is an ugly green color. I'm not sure if a die would ruin it or not. Part of it won't die, there are micro beads in the adhesive that are a pastie white color, but really small. So, even though this may be stronger than would ever be needed in the knife world, I don't think our customers, or our selves, could get past the color. I know there are a few other autobody adhesives that are almost as good as this one I just don't know any specifics. If anybody would like I could find out. If not, just say so.)

Last edited by chrisinbeav; 03-20-2005 at 10:28 PM.