View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Skilled

Bo Randall features the Astro without scales in every catalog, in the world famous knives section from 1961-85. The catalog changed format in 1988.
Interesting that he didn't feature the knife with scales in that section, so I suspect that scaleless version of the Astro was a bit more than a "side note" in his mind.
Joe, if your side note comment was aimed at overall production of the scaleless model, you seem to be right, as I have only seen 1 surface, but to say it's a minor side note to The "history" of the model, imo is not correct, as stated earlier, Mr Randall claimed it was carried by Alan Shepard, the first American in space, without scales. So historically, it occupies a prominent place in the history of the model.

I think that possibly part of the reason for the lack of sales and interest, may be due to the fact that it doesn't have scales. You typically see knives with handles of some sort. As you commented earlier, "it's not practical without scales". the point is that it wasn't marketed as something to be used as a tool, it was marketed as a momento, a replica of the first knife in space.
Most of the criticism that I've heard about the knife over the years is about the handle. The point is, It was a replica, a momento. It obviously has been found useful by some, the brown Micarta that I own was used by a Merchant Marine.

Last edited by samg; 09-06-2018 at 08:20 AM.