View Single Post
Old 07-21-2021, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
Ed any suggestions on a good reference book for building folding knives? Was looking for something to help with a first build and hopefully something that will let me grow also. Was thinking of trying a friction folder first. Thanks!!
First, you need to decide what type of folder you wish to produce? Lockbacks or LinerLocks?

I made several Lockback folders, but found they have a serious inherent problem. That being, IF a lockback folder ever fails, it fails all at once, and usually with catastrophic results. On the other hand, IF a LinerLock folder fails, it fails slowly, and rarely causes injury should it fail.
This is the reason that I do not make Lockbacks, and choose to produce LinerLock. That's just my personal choice as a Bladesmith, and I'm not dogging anyone who builds LockBacks..... I just don't. YOU MILEAGE MAY VARY.

OK, all that being said, the best reference I have found/seen for LinerLocks is "The Tactical Folding Knife" by Bob Terzuola. It is out of print, and VERY expensive, but it explains things in a very easy to understand manner, and actually has very valuable information that I have never seen in any other text on the subject.

The book that I did not like is/was: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Folding-Knives-Step-Step/dp/0873413903/ref=sr_1_2?crid=158LYZV8LI7VG&dchild=1&keywords=how+to+make+folding+knives&qid=1626872732&sprefix=how+to+make+fold%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-2

Why don't I like it? Because it infers that you have to own a specific brand/type of tool to do whatever task was being explained, and that whatever task was being discussed could only be done that way, with that specific tool. At my current knowledge level I know that's all nonsense, but as a rank beginner it was just confusing and frustrating.

As always, when I talk about folks learning folders, I speak to the necessary mindset. When someone has only built straight knives, they typically think in terms of fractions of an inch. However, the best advantage you can give yourself when stepping into folders is to train yourself to think in Fractions of a thousandth of an inch. Once you do that, folder become "easy", and your straight knives improve dramatically. As with anything new, it takes some time, but is well worth the efforts.

Finally, if you build folder, PLEASE DO NOT HANDICAP YOURSELF BY USING CHEAP CHINA HARDWARE! Plus/Minus .005" is what this hardware is speced at.... and that's as good a a mile when it comes to folders. The only hardware I use comes from https://ticonnector.com/ Yes, it is pricey, but for a lack of a better way to explain it, this stuff is "dead on" in every aspect. If you use the cheap China stuff, you WILL struggle with each and every folder you use it on. If yo use TiConnector hardware, you're folder will more or less just "fall" together the same way, every time, without ever having to fiddle around with everything.

Welcome to the maddness!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."