View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Hall of Famer

I've seen different approaches to setting knife prices. Like the guys above have said, somewhere between getting your money back and too much is just right!

Bob Engnath advised, at least for relatively new makers, that they charge enough to make 3 more knives.

Wayne Goddard had something like a formula, which I forget exactly what it was, but it was basically (materials+shop rate) x 3 = knife price.

I've seen websites where the cost of a custom knife was quoted on a per-inch basis.

A lot of it comes down to knowing what your market is, and making sure you have a broad market. (From this standpoint, it also makes sense to make knives in different price brackets. A customer may be willing to try a new maker on a $125 knife, and if happy with the result, come back later for a $300 knife.) Some makers hit the shows hard, have a website, and generally try to reach out to as many potential customers as they can. Others are content to hang out on their favorite armchair survival forum and sell to their armchair survival buddies.