MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 PM

“Bear” style knife hilt

I am new to knife making; so bear with me. On the loveless bear style knife the front bolster is like a hilt. I cannot figure out how this is done on a full tang knife. With the bolster that only goes one way, they would make a slot. These “hilts” look so seamless I just can’t figure it out. Is there a thread that explains it? Or a book I could purchase? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't actually 'know' what construction method Loveless used on his Big Bear knife but from looking at it I can guess. The first guard simply has a hole in it and slips over the handle. In Bob's case, this would be a near perfectly fitted slot that probably had to be tapped into position. To hold it Bob soldered his guards, if you look closely at the pictures of his knives you can see the fillet of solder. Soldering guards is getting to be a rare skill these days. The sub-hilt is probably just slotted and pinned to the tang with the joints again blended with solder......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Steel Addict

On the big bear and several in this style the guard slips on over the blade. He left small lugs on the handle to act as a stop. I can't verify the top but on the bottom he would filed a radias to match I believe a 5/32 end mill which he used to cut out the guard.
In his book you can plainly see the handle is larger than the blade depth.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Skilled

this will answer your questions.

https://www.ebay.com/i/253348346325?chn=ps
Old 09-06-2018, 02:26 PM

Sliding down over the blade! I don’t know why I couldn’t think of that. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thanks for the responses!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosssloan68 View Post
Sliding down over the blade! I don’t know why I couldn’t think of that. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it. Thanks for the responses!
The front guard is held by two pins.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 AM
Guru

Yeh I have never made one I don't know how bob did it but I know a man that makes these but not quite as big like suggested the front guard slides over the blade same thing opisat direction.....however I am sure there are a few ways to go about it and if ray says it can go over the handle I am sure it can be done,

now that I am thinking about this I saw one of these at the show in atlanta last year and it drew my attention because it was just absolutely beautiful and I don't remember the exact number but I think the price tag was somewhere around $5,000 but it had both gold inlay and shell inlays in it very cool looking but ok anyway the guy explained how he did it he was very proud I think he thought he was the first to do it this way personally I don't know but it was a polished brass and what he did was the guard was actually 2 pieces and got pinned on either side just like bolsters however he milled the 2 pieces so it wraped over the top and bottom of the blade so it all looked like 1 piece when done but that's just one way to do it

Tags
a, blade, bolster, book, brass, ca, case, fillet, full tang, guard, guards, handle, knife, knife making, knives, loveless, make, making, mill, pins, rare, small, tang