MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Steel Addict

I let a newb loose with a railroad spike

So a friend of mine came over yesterday to bring me an extremely miniature horizontal cross pein hammer and anvil. I promised him something cool in return so I let him go to town on MY anvil instead of the guest anvil with a railroad spike just to smash some steel. He got a pretty large flat piece of steel and decided he wanted to turn it into a knife. Better than the one his son made just to mess with him. It turns out he made a wonderful shape out of the slab he'd smashed out and all I had to do was show him how to form the fingerwell on the tang. He has the magic touch and I could feel the concrete floor vibrate off every hammer blow. After he finished the raw form he set up the edge how he liked it and he cut the head of the spike off so we could put scales on it. I used something spalted my dad stabilized ages ago and I did the glueup and he cut the scales to fit, cut the pins and softened the edges, I drilled the holes which was a nightmare, I found a confusing hard spot none of my drill bits would touch. I had to use a screwdriver as an impromptu punch to make it happen. He did the grinding on the handle after I showed him what to do on it, did the hand sanding and I oiled the wood and made the kydex sheath. I figured I'd show what a man did on his first time forging or making a knife with minimal guidance. And yes, I DID make sure to explain to him the non-hardenable nature of the spike BEFORE he committed to making a knife out of it.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Not bad at all for a first knife, better looking than most. As for those hard spots, if you want to drill something as hard as a knife blade then you want a straight flute carbide drill ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Steel Addict

GOTCHA. I'll look for some of those. I thought I had it handled but I'm still at one weird spot destroying several drill bits on its way out.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Steel Addict

I have a funny feeling he will be over to your shop a few more times in the future for lessons. You may have hooked him on making knives as a fun time hobby.

Old 09-05-2018, 04:21 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hatfield View Post
I have a funny feeling he will be over to your shop a few more times in the future for lessons. You may have hooked him on making knives as a fun time hobby.
I REALLY hope so. I've been throwing lines out there looking for people within driving distance to get hooked. We all know once someone's hooked they're GONNA buy a shop and get their own thing going on.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:17 AM
Guru

HAHA! allan its seems you may have snagged us another one!!!!! GOOD JOB..... for the straight flute bits ray suggested go to the link below this site was recamended to me from ray a while back I get 90% of my tooling drill bits reamers end mill band saw blade I could go on and on they got a lot of good stuff

www.mscdirect.com
Old 09-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
HAHA! allan its seems you may have snagged us another one!!!!! GOOD JOB..... for the straight flute bits ray suggested go to the link below this site was recamended to me from ray a while back I get 90% of my tooling drill bits reamers end mill band saw blade I could go on and on they got a lot of good stuff

www.mscdirect.com
Believe me I trust his judgment. I was just far more impressed that my guy made that on his first time using a forge. EVER.

Tags
550, a, anvil, blade, ca, edge, forging, grinding, hammer, handle, how to, knife, kydex, kydex sheath, made, make, making, man, pins, railroad spike, scales, sheath, steel, tang, wood