MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:16 AM
Registered

Knife making first try

Hello,

So after too many episodes of watching Forged in Fire and having some junk raw materials and a dead plum tree for smoker wood I decided to give it a try. I don't have any so called knife making tools or equipment or even a forge. All I got is a WorkSharp knife sharpener, an angle grinder, a 4" benchtop belt sander and a dremel. Electric chainsaw for cutting some slabs out of the dead plum tree for handle material. For metal I had an old lawnmower blade and some rusty files and farriers rasps.
My first knife was an old Sharpfinger design and a paring knife from the lawn mower blade. Then I made an Arkansas Toothpick from an old Nicholson 10" mill file and an old belt for handle wafers with some old harley parts of billet aluminum that shine up real good. Once I got more comfortable I started on the farriers rasps and made a bowie and a skinner. I had to go but some wood for the handles, Desert Ironwood for the Bowie and Bocote for the skinner.

For more details: best advertisements

Tags
angle, billet, blade, bowie, chainsaw, design, files, fire, forged, handle, handle material, ironwood, knife, knife making, knife sharpener, lawn mower, made, making, materials, paring, paring knife, skinner, tools, toothpick, wood