MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 07-31-2014, 03:39 AM

First knives in years!

After a long hiatus (explained in more detail in Custom Projects), I am back in the shop.
Here are some bad pictures of what I finished tonight.

The first is a push dagger similar to one I made which was, at one time, owned by Jim Cooper. This is only the second of its type, though thinner than the original which was 3/8". This one is 1/4". It is ATS-34, 58RC, stabilized Chittam burl, and N/S pins.

The second one here is Bertie Rietveld Dragon Skin Damascus that I've been sitting on since early 2008 or late 2007. I called my friend and ABS Mastersmith Steve Culver for advise on finishing the steel with bold color, but we wound up liking a mirror finish after a deep FC etch. Some may think treating Bertie's creation in such a way as a sacrilege, but hey..., I find beauty and elegance in simplicity and I only make knives which are meant to be used. The handle is stabilized ancient Kauri. I've long been a fan of this wood which ranks among the rarest and most unique wood on Earth. This piece was from the very first batch I had imported years ago. I was very lucky to get the grain to match up with the lines of the blade. Pins ar N/S. Some hard to acquire materials here. Happy to entertain offers.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 07-31-2014 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Skilled

Looking good there Andy , enjoy being in the shop again.

Dwane

Old 07-31-2014, 10:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Welcome back, Andrew!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Skilled

Andrew the Lil Arrow push dagger is purr out ulgy send it to me to Hide in my collection so it can Never be seen again by any one again and while your at it you might as well add that spotted one as well so it wont get lonely.

All Jokes aside they look very good , Well Done Brother Andrew, Good to see you back at work .I look forward to seeing more from you soon .

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-31-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks gents. Always good to be appreciated.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 07-31-2014, 03:20 PM

Dwane, Seems like you had a boy in the Marine Corps..., still serving? I hope all is well. I'll always have a soft spot for our troops.

Mr. Yates, I am a notorious kilt enthusiast. I have five in my collection.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Skilled

Andy, we ended up having three in the Marines , only one is still in the reserves. All home safe.

Thanks for asking
Dwane

Old 08-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Skilled

Brother Andy,

My Family Crest Name translates into "The Keeper of the Gates" Three Gates Over lapping and the Center Gate being the Largest & the most Ornate of the three . Our Colors are Black an Yellow Heavy Black lines with fine yellow & black in the plaid Tartan.

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Skilled

Well a Semper Fi for the Marine Corps Oliver family from Oregon, and a welcome back to knifemaking to Andy!

Perhaps I will get to meet you Andy at the Heartland Bladesmithing Symposium this October in Topeka. I am a new member to the Kansas Custom Knifemaker's Assn. from Kansas City, and am trying to make a few blades as nice as yours! I attended last year and had a great time!

Dwayne, my Dad freaked out on me when I joined the Marine Corps in 82. He told me to never join the Army. Which I didn't. But he didn't mention the Marines because he didn't think I would ever do that. He didn't want me in any military period. But he warmed up to the Corps after the first 8 years or so and attending a Marine Corps Ball while I was on recruiting duty. I can only imagine if my 2 brothers had joined also (they would NEVER have made it)! Congrats to you on raising 3 that served both this great nation and the Marine Corps!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
abs, arrow, ats-34, back, bee, blade, custom, dagger, damascus, etch, handle, home, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, materials, military, mirror, pins, push dagger, shop, steel, wood