MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 07-28-2001, 10:37 PM
J Loose

The First Year Mark...

So I was going over some of the ubiquitous paperwork that runs my life these days and I realized something -

I've just past my one-year anniversary as a Full-Timer.

I just wanted to say the CKD has been a great place to discover in the course of it all. The atmosphere is friendly, academic and best of all, static-free. I've had meaningful dialogue, sold some knives and enjoyed meeting more than a few new colleagues and afficianados... even if only in E-Land. Thanks to everyone who's answered a question, posted something interesting or contributed to my learning experience. I hope I can occasionally do the same.

-J. Loose
Old 07-29-2001, 05:54 AM
Don Cowles

Jon, it's a two way street. I look forward to reading your posts because you usually have something real to say, and you say it well. Glad you're with us, and "Happy Birthday!"
Old 07-29-2001, 08:19 AM
DC KNIVES

Happy Anniversary Jon,I have to agree with Don, we enjoy you being here as well.That's what makes this forum better than the others,Dave.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:19 AM
Geno

Happy Birthday Jon.
Do you have any goals for this year?
Old 07-29-2001, 10:00 AM
Roger Gregory

Congratulations Jonathan.

As well as thinking about what Gene just asked, what did you expect this first year to bring, and did it?

Here's hoping for many more successful years.

Roger
Old 07-29-2001, 11:04 AM
ansoknives

good on you!
Old 07-29-2001, 11:06 AM
primos

Happy Anniversary Jon. Like Don said, I always look forward to reading your posts. They are always well written, informative, and quite frankly, entertaining. It's great having you aboard.
Old 07-29-2001, 12:08 PM
MJHKNIVES

Happy anniversary,hope you have many more.
Old 07-29-2001, 10:34 PM
J Loose

Aw shucks, guys,

Thanks!

As for Geno's question I'd have to say my first year's goal of mere economic survival has apparently been met. : I've managed to upgrade most of my equipment to where I envisioned and also laid the basis for the coming year. Those were pretty much my goals... to establish a foundation for where I want to take this career...

So as for the coming year... I plan on getting into sword-length composite pattern welded pieces and putting some of my jewelry skills to work. I plan on doing more than paying the bills- even if it isn't much more... 'cause it probably won't ever be -much- more...

I had a conversation just today with a fellow craftsman about a former employer... a real first-class jerk who told me that "... I might find making knives harder than I thought," when I told him I wouldn't be taken advantage of any longer and quit. ( I guess it's too hard for -him- anyway : ) I can only say now that all the hard work has been worth every drop of blood and sweat. And you know what? It's been hard; it's been real hard... but not nearly as hard as I thought.

It's too satisfying to be -that- hard...
Old 07-30-2001, 02:02 AM
ansoknives

Well I must say it is temting...I am working fulltime (sort off anyway) now untill I get a job as a designer. It might be next week...it might be next year..who knows. But it is nice to be able to do knives untill then.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:07 AM
Mike Conner

Congrats Jon,
Hope you have many more successful years ahead of you.
Always enjoy reading your post.
Mike
Old 07-30-2001, 10:13 AM
viper5192

Congrats man! There's only 1 first anniversary! It only gets better fromhere! Keep up the great work!
Old 07-30-2001, 12:34 PM
CKDadmin

Yeah man! ... Survival of the fittest!

Alex

Tags
knives