MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 01-21-2004, 01:59 PM
Skilled

Barely Convex

I was setting the initial edge on a new knife and ended up doing something a little different - for me at least.

I was using Norax belts and a platen - which have a little give compared to waterstones. I also had some graphite belting under it, which added more 'give'.

The result was a convex edge. I expect that to happen somewhat because of the less than hard surface. But based on the way light reflects I see more convex than I expected. Still less convex than a slack belt.

So, I finished up with a 5x and then a leather belt.

I think I'll call the results - barely convex. Kinda fun because the look has a pretty definiate edge like like a flat edge (I like that look), but not a solid reflection.

Dang that sucker is sharp and slices stuff like the dickens! Haven't run any durability tests yet, but I expect it will do quite well.

Steve

See Jerry - I listen!

Old 01-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Steel Addict

Hey Steve, does Norax make those belts in 1x42"? I really like a convex edge for heavy cutting, otherwise I like the v-grind.
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM
Steel Addict

I recently tried shaving my face with two of my knives with thin blades that have convex grinds. One is a warncliffe blade in S30V and the other a small drop point bird and trout knife in D2. Both are 3/32" thick and sharpened through polishing with translucent Arkansas stone and then stropped with CrO rouge.

With three days growth, the S30V shaved cleanly and the D2 a little less smoothly, but still did the trick. There may be some bias here as I am right handed and did the right side with S30V and the left with D2. Faces are a lot harder to shave than arms, but these convex edges performed better than I thought they might. I don't normally shave with a straight razor and wasn't sure I could pull it off.

The point is that I don't think convex edges are only good for hard, tough applications. Using thinner stock for lighter blades, you can get very fine edges with shallow angle convex grinds.

Steve Hayden steve4663@gmail.com
Aztec, NM
Old 01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Skilled

Steve,

Shaving - like the face? and neck! Don't have the guts myself.

But I feel challanged - I'll try it.

Actually I'm a a bit suprised too. Thought a convex wouldn't do that so well.

How thin was the edge before you sharpened it.

---------------------------------------------
I posted this without a question. But had one in mind for Jerry:

When you are talking convex, just how convex are we talking? I mean I can start with a .040" edge and use a very slack belt and get a nice round edge. The other extreme is what I was talking about where it is slightly convex right at the edge.

So, just how convex for the that high-performance hunting knife?

Steve

PS No I don't have a clue how to quantify convex. Flat ground is easy you have angle, but convex?

Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Steel Addict

I start these knives with 3/32 stock, grind distal taper and pretty close to a full convex grind. They are very thin at the edge. I start with an almost flat grind on the platen, gradually slightly round it and shape the smooth curve with the slack belt. There is a wide range to slack belt grinding, depending on belt tension,belt grit and type and pressure applied.

I have to admit that I chickened out on the neck with the D2. It was on the wrong side and discretion kicked valor's butt. The S30V was very smooth-not good enough to give up the three blade cartridge though.

Steve Hayden steve4663@gmail.com
Aztec, NM
Old 01-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

For about a year now I've been using a rotary platen for my sharpening because I can adjust the amount of slack I want for each edge. It allows better control than the slack belt and is less likely to make the final edge too steep.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 01-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to TJ Smith
Yeah I think barely convex sounds right.
I use a thin cotton pad on my 5160 platten. It's a piece of and old outboard motor cover. very little flex but enouch to stop the belt join from making noise.
I flat grind and blend in the edge grind and then sharpen with the pad on the platten.
Holds and edge real well.
Take Care
TJ

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knives