MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Living Legend

colt saa gold inlayed /engraved

Here are 3 photos of a calt saa i just finished it is a 4 inc. barrel with mop grips and 45 cal hope you like them

Old 07-30-2003, 08:22 AM
Living Legend

Photo #2 is of the half frame . I wish i could take better photos .Ithen would post more photos of my work .I may have to ask Coop for a 3 day schooling on photo taking ..

Old 07-30-2003, 08:27 AM
Living Legend

And photo #3 this is of the rear shot of the frame .. I used 24 k for the gold inlay and the engraving is deep relief . there are details in this engraving that dont come out on the photo. Thanks for looking and hope you like..

Old 07-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Guru

I like that alot Ron!
Really well done.

How many hours do you have in this job?

Tim
Old 07-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Living Legend

Hi Tim .. thanks for your coments.. I dont know yet i havent totaled then up yet. I know it took 7 weeks about 6 hrs a day including sat. and sun. I enjoy doing these colt saa . each one i do i get new and better ideas .. on my bench are 5 more wating to be done i just wish i could get better photos of the engraving work and the colors .I had Dug Turnbull do the color case harding and the bluing and he did a great job .. You cant see the style of the chisel cut i did in the photos .. well one day i will get a better camera and produce better photos i will have to talk to Coop and find out what type of camera he is useing ..

Old 07-30-2003, 02:16 PM

Ron-

Hey buddy, lately I've been getting more and more excited with your gold inlay work...I really love the effect.

With these pics it's easy to understand why you've got such a great rep for your work on handguns. The inlay on this Colt rocks! I especially like the way it leads up into the hammer. The scalloping is too cool. And that "free-standing" swirl on the side is a particularly nice extra touch.

I'm guessing that the color case hardening is making it difficult for us to see the engraving work. I have no doubt that it's up to your usual high standards...(as if there was ever any question )

Great job. Too bad I won't get to see this one in person. (Although I may come up on Sunday, I understand your customer is meeting you at the gun show on Saturday.)...maybe I'll get to see the next one you're doing for him.

:cool: :cool:

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:27 PM

Ron
Very, Very nice......
You have my curiosity up....tell us more about the graver you are using.
Thanks for show your work. I look forward to more.

Jim Small
Old 07-30-2003, 08:55 PM
Living Legend

Hi Jim and thanks .. I use Steve Lindsays air engraver i think it is great . I can go from a power ful cut to a very light cut for fine shading like i did on this colt and others that you will soon see.. I did a deep relief cut ..i remove my back ground by very small and fine cuts i keep changing directions each time i make a pass until i get the depth i want . I am now working on a Lamont Coombs sub hilt bowie that i will post may be this week end there you will be able to see how i made my cuts..

Old 07-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Skilled

Beautiful Ron!!!

The metal finish really sets off your work. Just simply a beautiful package overall!

Brian
Old 07-30-2003, 09:44 PM
Master

Same here Ron. I have heald a lot of the SAA's that you have done and they have all looked great and this one is up there too. Keep up the good work and keep showing us these great looking engraving jobs.

Joe Mason
Old 07-31-2003, 08:45 AM
Skilled

Looks great!!! Love that gold work. Did you do any cutting on the hammer pivot screw, or is that just a camera effect (pic #3).
Jeremy...
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Ron,

Very nice job on the Colt! Your engraving and Turnbull's metal finish made a nice package. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Shawn