MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 02-17-2001, 12:44 PM
JerryO13

Sharpening Stones - what do you think?

Well I took a look at my Arkansas two sided stone and it's got a big ole dip in it. So I figure maybe it's time for some new bench stones.

What have you used and what do you like?

No grinders alright, I don't have one! I've been thinking about both water and oil stones and also the man-made ones like the ceramics and diamond stones. For myself I think I need at least an 8" stone. Then how many different grits should I get. Right now I use a Spyderco sharpmaker, a Global ceramic stick for alignments and my Arkansas 2-sided (med & fine) which as I said has seen better days. Also if you know prices and a good website to buy from let me know that too!

Old 02-17-2001, 12:51 PM
Don Cowles

Jerry- you can re-vitalize that stone by taping an 80 grit sheet of wet or dry sandpaper to a sheet of plate glass (or any other dead flat surface), and lapping the stone flat. Easier to do if it doesn't have too big a dip in it.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:39 PM
Geno

I started using ceramics and I like them. They sharpen well and don't wear out.

Old 02-20-2001, 04:23 PM
JerryO13

Don, thanks I may just try that. how do you keep the sandpaper from shifting? When you sand the stone, do you go against the grain, so to speak or sand in the same direction as honing. Also won't the sandpaper particles fill the stone like metal shavings? If I forgot to mention I've been using oil on these stones.

The one I have is very old. 2-sided and big dip. also it's only 6" long. I was thinking about a larger stone.

Gene, what brand of ceramics? and what size are they?

Old 02-20-2001, 05:45 PM
Don Cowles

I use a spray adresive on the back of the sandpaper. Direction is non-critical; the idea is to get it level and flat again. Don't know if I'd tackle it on a badly worn stone, though- replacements are available for far less than the cost of the elbow grease.

I was taught to flatten stones by pattern makers about 40 years ago- they would rub the faces of 2 stones together - even different grits- and flood the surface with kerosene to carry off the loose grit.
Old 02-26-2001, 11:25 PM
Geno

I use Spyderco ceramic. 2" x 8". They have different grits available.