MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

circuit board handle

Howdy all,

I just fubar'd the handles that I ordered with my GPC1000, so while the new ones are on the way I got to thinking. (which always leads to trouble)

The knife will be a wedding present for a good friend of mine who is very into all things computer, often times taking his PCs apart and making modifications to the motherboards to "improve" them. Here at the office I have a box full of old circuit boards with all kinds of neat resistors and capacitors and chips on them.

I was thinking maybe I could encase a circuit board in some sort of clear plastic (or something like that) and use that for the handles on the knife. Has anyone done something like this before? Where would I go to get the stuff to do the encasing with? I'm probably biting off more than I can chew here, but the idea hit me a while ago and it just will not go away.

Thanks for any help,

-Gandalf23
Old 03-18-2003, 12:56 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Check out this thread:

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....t+board+handle

Very cool idea.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Enthusiast

Very cool!

That's what I want but with stuff in there, too. So epoxy, huh? Cool, I can do that.

Thanks!

-Gandalf23
Old 03-18-2003, 01:15 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Just a suggestion: When you do this, mix your epoxy carefully to keep air bubbles from getting in the mix. Then you might want to warm the epoxy so it flows better. Warm epoxy is also easier to get the bubbles out of. Don't warm it too much, or it will exotherm.

Show us the results when you're finished.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-18-2003, 01:22 PM
Living Legend

Geno has done some really good looking folders with PCB's. When done right, they look great.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Steel Addict

If you can figure a way to do it under water,bubbles won't be a problem.Modeling clay works well and is waterproof.I suggest making a clay profile mold of the scales,make it the depth you need it to be.Place the board on the bottem face up,compress the clay well around the edges ,pour in epoxy,let set awhile,submerge to purge the bubbles.The pressure will force the air out.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

never used it for knife handles, but polyester casting resin like this might work. just do a web search for casting resin and you will find a number of hits.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

What kind/brand of epoxy would work for this? I went to the local hardware place today and nothing they had would dry clear.

Thanks,

-Gandalf23
Old 03-19-2003, 11:53 AM
Registered

Wink Clear Cast Resin

Whv has the right idea. Clear Cast resin comes out clear, is strong,and easy to work with. I used it in a crafts class and was able to put every object you can think of in it. You can buy it at Hobby Lobby or other craft stores.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks!

I'll run by Hobby Lobby on the way home from work tonight. I think I'll try using old RAM for the base. They're roughly the right size, so not a whole lot of trimming needed, plus they have little chips on them. I'll be sure to post pics.

-Gandalf23
Old 03-19-2003, 03:08 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

You can use the boards just like they are if you want.
Once stripped, they will polish right up, don't sand the face, or buff too hard though.It will leave a nice textured surface.
I have made dozens of folders out of it.
I'll see if I have some old pictures for you.

Tags
knife, knives