MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:21 AM

Smile !!!Rust????

When I started to get serious(or serious-er... ) about this hobby I bought a bunch of equipment etc from the widow of a knifemaker I knew years ago. Part of this hoard was a bunch of blade blanks that I think came from Jantz. These blanks have sat in a box ever since, until recently. A friend of mine has been bugging me, ever since I made the mistake of showing off a blade to him, that he wanted a knife. 'Ok fine' I told myself. Walked over to the box of blanks and pulled out a paring knife, or maybe technically it's a utility knife. Regardless the knife turned out well. I think he was a little disappointed that he didn't end up with some huge hunter or something but his WIFE appreciated the knife. Says it peels potatoes like nothing she's seen before and if she's not careful she will leave chunks of finger with the stew. The problem is the thing is rusting! Along the blade little rust spots appear and if you leave it sit wet the rust will get more than just spots! Is this normal? Somewhere in these forums I read something about the high carbon content of these blanks and that rust can form. Is this true? Is there something that can be done to prevent it? Or did I miss something in the knife's creation? How about proper care of these things when they are done?

One other question: I thought these blanks were supposed to come pre heat treated. True or false?

If the rust problem is something that 'happens' with these blanks I think the rest of what I've got can sit in the box for a good while longer.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 AM
Guru

Depends on the steel used. High carbon steel can rust. Proper care of the knife, drying it when done with it, no dishwasher, etc, can prevent it from rusting. My hunting knife is carbon steel, and I don't have a problem with rust, but I also take care of the knife.

If you want knives that are less prone to rust, there are a lot of good stainless steels out there, but those knives should be cared for in the same way.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-19-2006, 10:35 AM
Hall of Famer

If the blades came from Jantz, and it is a utility/kitchen knife, then it is probably one of the Russell knives. Look to see if they have a diamond etched on the side. It should have the full heat treat before they're sent out. The Russell knives are high carbon steel, not stainless. And yes, they rust if you don't take care of them. But the edge holds for a long time. I've put together a couple knives from these blades. Their using knives. If you want a knife that will stay pretty with lower maintenance, try a stainless.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 AM

That's kind of what I figured. I never put my kitchen knives in the dishwasher anyway and I tell everyone that will listen the same thing. What about oil? Would that help at all? I'm not saying I'd like to hit the blade with a shot of WD-40 or anything but maybe a light coat of ... vegetable oil?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Guru

If they are the Russell knives, those can make up some nice knives. I have a set I threw together for my hunting camper a few years ago. Put some maple scales on them, formed the scales to fit my hand, and off to hunting camp. They have butchered a number of deer since then and are great little blades. I don't know what steel is used (should be easy to find out), but they will rust if you look at them wrong.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Steel Addict

Cool

Any steel will rust if neglected too long. Birchwood Casey makes one of the finest (in my opinion) products to prevent rust, it's called "Barricade" or the old name was "Sheath". You can find it at most gun shops or some knife supply shops have it in stock. Wipe it on and wipe it off, good stuff, I keep some on hand for blades and guns to ward off evil rust.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:07 PM

I'll have to look into that 'Barricade'. Any idea if it's food safe?

Anyone else know exactly which steel Jantz uses in their blanks? I think I found reference to them using 1095 Hi Carbon Steel ...
Old 01-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by baks
What about oil? Would that help at all? I'm not saying I'd like to hit the blade with a shot of WD-40 or anything but maybe a light coat of ... vegetable oil?
If the knife is used and cleaned regularly then vegatable oil should work fine. If it's going to sit for a while sometimes then use thin mineral oil, it's foodsafe and won't go rancid over time like vegatable oil can.

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knives