MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
Hey Aube, good friend and student of mine bought one of those 4140 "firing pin" post anvils a good while back. Came with a stand and everything, but as you said no hardies or horn. Helped him solve the hardie issue by fabricating a "saddle" hardy that fits down over the top...2 1/2" block of steel with a 1" square center hole and a1/2" pritchel hole near one corner. Works pretty well since his anvil stand is adjustable to accomodate the additional height. Not a hard fabrication once you visualize it. Helps to have a good welder and pile of scrap steel on hand.
Thing is, he paid more for his rig than I did for my 268# Haye-Budden that came with horn, hardy & pritchel holes, and more than twice the surface area (she has been one of my best finds, so far, and my all time favorite).
All the steel HF's I've seen were marked "steel" and the cast iron ones "cast iron". Guess the labels get pull off from time to time though. They were servicable to a point, but nothing like the rebound of a quality anvil. Pretty good for hand forging damascus though. I have a 200# farrier's anvil (no markings) that will literally put the hammer back in your face if you miss your mark (work piece). Once I get her up to heat, work goes really fast.

Hi Crex,

I thought of adding a hardy hole like your friend but I just haven't gotten around to it. I also plan on making some dies for fullering, etc...again I haven't gotten around to it yet. Looks like it would come in handy, but I have a bad habit of putting something off til the moment I need it.

I'd love to get a nice old anvil... When I bought the 110# HF one I was just beginning to forge (after stock removing for years) and after looking around for an older one for a few weeks I just gave up and got the HF. I was lucky because they opened a HF near me so I was able to go in with a ball bearing and bounce it off the anvils before buying.

With the post anvil I bought it out of necessity. I moved to the Philippines and I didn't bring my anvil here. It is hard as heck to find knife related supplies local so I didn't hold out much hope of locating a good anvil, so I went with the post. I was pleasantly surprised by it. 3+ yrs later and I still haven't come across a decent anvil for sale here and the post has been handling the workload. When I get back to the US I'm going to keep my eye open for an older one...even if just for the historical aspect.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:54 PM

another question i had was what do to about a shop. i live in the city and i don't have a lot of room for a shop. i was thinking about making one in my back yard.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Hall of Famer

My first shop was under a Bradford Pear tree and my grinder in the great room, it had a ceramic tile floor.

Doug

Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 AM

Last week I attended an estate sale. There were 5 anvils. I got the best one (145#) for $75.
Unfortunately, I spend a lot of time "holding" it (literally) to ensure others didn't make a claim, that I missed out on the racks of tongs and benchtop of hardies. Once I lugged the anvil to the car, I came back thinking I should also buy the much abused smaller anvil that no one was showing interest in. My friend offered that his son could weld fill the numerous chips in high school welding class. Of course, it was gone when we got back. I think it was $25 and about 50#

I also grabbed a benchtop model about 10# for $8, which I have since given to a jeweler friend.

The message is persevere, and spend time going where you're likely to find them.

Last edited by paddlepower; 10-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Hall of Famer

If it's a decent anvil the money that you saved protecting your claim to that 145 lb anvil will buy you a lot of tongs and hardy tools. Congratulations.

Doug

Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 AM

yeah junkyard is your best bet if you can find a big pin from a crain or weight or arm from a forklift youll be in good shape
Old 11-03-2012, 05:17 AM

Most of your counter balance weights are cast iron and not really suitable. They will crumble under repeated use. The fork lift fork, on the other hand, are excellent and already hardened and tempered. Plus you can mount them so that all your mass is directly below your working surface area.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
anvil, art, back, bee, blacksmith, blacksmithing, blade, block, choose, damascus, edge, for sale, forging, home, horn, hot, how to, iron, knife, made, make, post, rod, steel, surface