MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 07-23-2001, 06:55 PM
Bob Warner

Oxygen/Acetylene torch

Anyone in the Dallas Texas area know of a place to get Oxygen and Acetylene tanks? I plan on buying the torch new (unless I find a good deal on a good used torch). I have no idea where to get the tanks or any idea of what they should cost. If anyone can give me a place and a ballpark of what it should cost, I would appreciate it. I know you can lease tanks but I am not interested in that. I want full sized tanks.
Old 07-23-2001, 08:33 PM
Mike Conner

Bob,
Try Garland Welding supply. I don't know the exact cost of the bottles, but they aren't cheap. As for the torch try Sam's Wholesale Club, I bought a Victor Set there for around $150.
Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 07-23-2001, 08:42 PM
Bob Warner

Thanks Mike.

It is the tanks I am worried about. I heard they are pricy.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:17 AM
Raymond Richard

Bob, I had just bought a set but can't remember right off hand but I'm thinking it was around $250 for the tanks and thats with them filled. These were the middle sized ones, next time I'll trade up to the full size now that my wife knows I've got them. I picked up the whole torch set at Harbor Freight for $99.00. It was made in China and does the job that I got it for. You might be able to find a outfit threw a private party but sometimes the tanks may be rentals that they had brought home from work and when you take them in to be re-filled they won't fill them. Most your welding suppliers will sell you the tanks, the checking I did I found that the tanks are pretty much the same price at each dealer. To re-fill my tanks its about $20.00 a piece. Hope this helps, Ray
Old 07-24-2001, 10:16 AM
Geno

I rent gas bottles from the local welder's supply co.$8.00 a month per bottle.
Torches and such can be found in pawn shops pretty cheap.
Home depot, Sam's, anywhere will sell them outright.
I have 6 different torches from pawn shops and didn't pay more than $30.00 for any one.
I now have any torch I need, extra hoses, and a regulator I use on my propane tank.

Old 07-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Bob Warner

I just left a welding supply store. According to them, any tank over 125 cubic foot for oxygen and 75 cubic foot for acetylene is considered a rental. You an buy them from someone (privately) but they won't refill or exchange them for you. According to them if you buy it you can use it until it is empty and then just toss it in the ditch because nobody will refill or exchange it for you.

They said that the smaller tanks are considered "Private use" tanks and they will exchange them when empty and that ANY company (nation wide) would exchange them. They recommended I buy the small tanks rather than rent the large ones based on my information on expected use. The small tanks (125cf OX and 75cf ACY) are the largest I can get in personal. Both tanks (Filled) would cost me $319 to walk out the door.

Refills (exchanges) would be $14 for Oxygen and $18 for the Acetylene.

I have seen the torches in pawn shops and even new ones for under $100.

I will probably buy the personal use tanks.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:19 PM
Mike Sader

Bob, have you considered using propane for a fuelgas? you can get the 100# tanks filled for about 120$,and refilled for bout 40 or so.they make the tips for propane so you will ned to specify that. My welding supply guy said even us rig welders will prob. want to change to prop. soon,it's supposed to get real pricey according to him. I use the 125 oxy bottles myself on my truck. But bought a liquid bottle for the shop. Well good luck w/ your stuff. Mike Sader
Old 07-25-2001, 11:20 PM
Geno

I use so much, it pays for me to use the larger tanks. I would go through so much with the smaller tanks it wouldn't be cost effective. We pay about $100 for the yearly rental. I go through a lot of gas. I build a lot of tools and equipment and do a lot of ironwork.

You need to look at the use. any good welding shop will get you setup with what you need.
They don't make their money off us "little" guys. They have bigger customers that they make money on.

Keep us updated on what you settle for.

Old 07-26-2001, 11:37 AM
spryor

I have been toying with the idea or ornamental copper work, not to mention that a nice (little) torch set would come in handy in the (little) knife shop.
I have been searching the web pretty hard to find a better price for something like the Smith Little Torches, than the prices found at places like Rio Grande. I have found a place that has the Smith little oxy/act. sets with the small tanks, hoses, guages, carry case, etc. for $325. w/free shipping.

www.cyberweld.com/Smith_E...15765.html
(scroll all the way to the bottom for the complete set with tanks)

Now if ya'll would just pitch in and but me one of these for sharing the source.LOL

Steve

www.stevescutlery.com
Old 07-26-2001, 12:26 PM
Don Cowles

Steve, I bought such a set, mounted on a wheeled cart, for about that price at my local welding shop a couple of years ago.

Tags
knife