MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 AM
Steel Addict

blade grinding

Hello,
I am new at knife making and have only made a few knives. The first several, I profiled the blades on a bench grinder and then I filed the blades with a file and they turned out pretty good. Lately I have been trying to hollow grind some blades. It is hard to me. How long does it usually take to get the hang of hollow grinding? Is flat grinding easier or harder?

Thanks,
Doug
Jn. 3: 16
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Steel Addict

Hello Doug , i like flat grinding best , it was easier for me to learn , and somewhat faster for me to do . Sooner or later you will want to learn both ways , depending on what style blade you want to grind . SCOTT

Old 01-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
Doug , I started out hollow grinding and am trying to learn flat grinding...And i am having a time of it...I just decided today to stick with hollow......I think whichever one you start with is the one to use....I made a jig to start my hollow and it works... I tried it with flat and it failed............But , i only do about 15 knives per year....I had a guy named Campbell in Alaska show me how to flat grind vertically...Maybe i should have watched a little better.................carl

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Skilled

Doug it is kind of hard to describe how to grind, either flat or hollow. It is not easy to show someone in person, but that is definitely the best way. A few quick pointers can save you a lot of time in learning.

Try to make the Georgia Guild meeting in Statesboro, if not the one in February then maybe the spring meeting. There will be a bunch of makers there that are willing to help and a few quick pointers will get you well on your way to a good grind no matter which type you choose.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives