MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Guru

Need help! Kmg motor

Hey guys I think I blew the motor on my KMG!!! but I don't know much about motor so I figured I would ask for help. so I have it pluged into one of those surge protector strips along with the drill press and some lights....so twice it stoped and the surge protector poped off turned it back on fine 10 mins later same thing.....the third time it happened I went to plug it in at another outlet....turned it back on the motor made a lil noise but the belt didn't move....I cant even turn it by hand!....any ideas???? don't want to have to spend money I don't have on a new motor (obviously if I have to then I have to) ceased motor??
Old 09-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Your first hint was that the short protection on your extension cord popped to shut off the power. That might happen once on a fluke but twice means stop doing what you're doing and check it over carefully.

You say to can't turn the motor: are you trying to turn the motor while the power is applied. I want to know if you can turn the motor when it is unplugged. If you can't, its toast. Might be possible to fix it but would probably cost as much as replacing it.

Is this a single speed motor or a variable speed motor?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:08 PM
Guru

yeh even with everything off I cant move it not at all ....when I do turn it on you can hear the motor trying and you can see the pully kinda "flinch"....but moves maybe a 1/4in and gets stuck....yeh I was thinking its ceased...sucks especially when I just spent all my money on the hardness tester so idk going to have to borrow money from somewhere.....OH ray on a good note the hardness tester just got delivered. haven't even had time to read the manual and its so heavy I am going to have to wait to get my bro in law or a friend to help me get it up on the bench... ohh and you were right once again about waiting to buy a test block I got one that is 60.2.....at least I can test the knives already made lol as it might take a while to get a new motor....do you think I should try and get the money and stick to the motors from beumont metal or would a cheap one from harbor freight serve the same purpose?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:25 PM

60.2 is great, you couldn't hope for better than that!

A motor doesn't have to be expensive but it does need to be closed frame - usually called TEFC - and it does need to half at least 1 hp, preferably more and it should be the same speed as the one you're replacing which is either 1725 or 3450 rpm. Of course, if you have a 3450 motor and think it is too fast then now would be the time to get a 1725.

I once found some swimming pool pump motors online that were TEFC and about 2 hp for $90, you might investigate that. Grizzly sells a full line of motors that would fill the bill, not cheap but maybe less than Beaumont.

Be sure to check the shaft size and length before you buy and, of course, check to see that it will run on whatever electricity you're using .

You can buy an open frame motor but your metal dust and other dirt can get in there so it may not last very long ...

Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 PM
Guru

alright thanks ill have to take a look around and see what I can get honestly I liked the one I have and if possible I would get the same one. but also as I said I don't have enough and am hoping I can borrow it from someone...haven't asked yet if not everything will have to go on pause for 2-3 weeks before I can get some money together....I wish this would of happened last week before I spent the rest of my money but hey what are you going to do life happens ill figure it one way or another
Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

KMG Motor

I bought a motor and VFD from Wayne Coe (Google him) and have been very satisfied. You might give him a try.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Guru

Unhappy Sorry about your motor Dave

Dave, you have a 4x36 HF right? Well use that for your handles and get to making handles for the knives you have made. If you don't then buy the HF 1x30 for $60 and use that, but the 4x36 isn't much more now I think about it. Sell those Dave and don't give them away. If I needed some money fast I have about 16 blanks ready for a handle. Some are kit knives and some are made from scratch as they say in the world of spaghetti sauce makers. I saw some of your knives Dave and they are great looking and best of all HTed for optimum performance.

If you need a couple of leather sheaths I will make them for you for a big discount Dave. Don't go by that sheath I made for that big dagger, I can make a nice and clean sheath. I was experimenting with that and also ran out of the proper thread after I was into it. So it ended up with linen thread and hemp thread and the hemp was a little bigger in diameter. It was for my son so I gave it to him, but would never send a customer that sheath until I fixed it.
Go to the All Photos on the toolbar on the homepage and click on it. Go down to where it just says Link and look at that sheath. Also you can go to Flickr and type in search Jimmie Montgomery and then click on search people and click on Jimmie Montgomery-Mountain Fisher and take a look at some of my better sheaths including for the Danish Viking Axe and the Norwegian laminated blade that went with it.

I know you have other issues on your plate as well Dave, but just relax and take care of business and it will turn out OK. Wished I could loan you the money, but I'm not swimming in it either. Like I said use your other sanders for the handles and go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a 1" drum sander and rough to fine grit drums as you can find and remember after the roll is used up take it off the drum and super glue finer grit sandpaper on there as you go along. Oh, don't push too hard into the drums Dave.lol Make sure the end of the paper isn't facing into the direction the drill press turns and glue the paper to the paper, not glued onto the sanding drum so you can change grits. I make a bunch of them up and keep them in rubbermaid bowl.

And as Ray said you want a sealed motor preferably variable speed so you can slow down with that Dymondwood you bought as it burns easily if the belt is moving too fast. Good luck Dave Ask Carl (Crex), Ray or some of the other guys here how to make that Mokume. If you get good with that you can sell it too.

Last edited by jimmontg; 09-29-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Clarification and repair
Old 09-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Guru

thanks guys RSCOFFEY thanks for that link its about a 100 cheaper then beaummont so that may come in very handy.
JIM unfortunately I don't have many blades that are ready for handles well I have some that are close maybe I could finish with a file and sand paper. how ever I do have a couple that just need sheath and logo so maybe ill put a lil more effort into getting rid of them with the option of me doing the kydex or maybe you can do leather I deffinitly got enough to get well more than I need for the motor...just sucks wont be able to work on some new ones for a while ..... but I also have another option like I said in a few weeks ill have enough so I have some one that might let me borrow it for a couple weeks going to talk to them today worst case ill just have to wait a few weeks
Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM
Guru

hey guys....the link below is the motor I have (broken one) it is a 1.5 hp and 1725 rpm. either way if I end up trying to borrow the money from one of my sisters or end up having to wait till I can get it I was curious about Beaumont had another motor that is 2hp same rpm. is there really any noticeable difference in the 2? one big thing is the bigger one is 220v wich I don't have where the grinder is however I do have space on the breaker to run another line or extend the line I use for my oven...I just don't want to spend the extra money and time putting in a line if there really isn't much difference. now if I end up getting my sis to lend me the money I am going to get it from Beaumont (or maybe right from lesson who make all of there motors) if I have to wait till I get the money togather it depends on how much time it will take if I can get another cheaper one sooner then ill do that but I am sure the comparasin of these to would also relate to motors from grizzly or wayne
coe,...any advice between the 2??
this is what I have been using.....
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/sh...aspx?itemid=84
Old 09-30-2016, 02:10 PM

Personally, I always wanted a 2 hp motor but never had one. If you haven't been bogging down the 1.5 motor then you probably don't need 2 hp but it would be nice to have.

As far as how the Leeson motors compare to the Grizzly, I would say as long as the Grizzly is TEFC and the same speed and hp (or more) then I wouldn't hesitate to get one if it saves you some money ...

Old 09-30-2016, 02:20 PM
Skilled

You've had that grinder less than a year haven't you? Was it bought new? If so, I wonder if Beaumont offers any type of warrantee?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Guru

yeh ray good point there was something tho about the grizzly that was off I THINK the shaft is smaller so I guess I would have to buy new pulleys...so ill have to check into and see the total for everything...My mother is awesome she was doing the wash when this thing broke so you can imagine the words coming out of my mouth and throwing stuff all over so she new about it and I had told her I was going to ask my sis for the money and told me not to and we would talk about it tomorrow so I don't think she would have mentioned it if she wasn't going to lend me the money SHE IS GREAT! but I know she doesn't have a bunch of extra cash lying around either so if I can get the same quality one from grizzly for less that's what I am going to do.

wnc...yeh the motors from beumont are really from lesson they asked me to take a pic of the tagon the motor and they would forward it to lesson and I should hear from him today he said so I am crossing my fingers because honestly I don't remember if there was a warenty I don't think so but not 100%
Old 09-30-2016, 03:43 PM

Grizzly has motors in virtually any and every size imaginable for machine tools. Somewhere in their inventory they have exactly what you need ...

Old 10-02-2016, 05:16 PM
Guru

Dave I cant answer your PM as your in and out box is full.

Tags
back, bee, belt, blade, block, buy, cheap, drill, hand, help., how to, kit, knife, knives, kydex, leather, lights, made, metal, motor, need help, press, sheath, sheaths, vfd