MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 AM

Thumbstud replacement on FL-006

Please pardon this question from a newbie! As a beginner level-kit attempt, I put together an FL-006. It went together easily, and seemed remarkably sturdy and usable without further attention! This wasn't my first kit though, and my plan for this project was to replace the scales with teak, polish the blade, try some filework and maybe play with heat-coloring the liners.

The thumbstud is one-sided, and (I now know) is a press fit into the blade. I removed the stud to evenly polish and sharpen the blade, but thoroughly ruined it cosmetically before getting it out. I will proceed with the project, but have two questions:

1) Is there a recommended way to remove / reinstall such a stud stud? I tried 'unthreading' and assuming it was loctited, applied heat and more torque before simply driving it out from the back with a drift. I have temporarily re-installed it by peining the rear, but it isn't strong enough to rely on.

2) I have a catalog from knifekits.com and want to order a replacement... Can anyone recommend a particular stud that will surely fit?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

Check the FAQ section of knifekits.com; at one time they had instructions on how to remove the thumb studs w/o damagin them. Make sure to post some pics when you get it done. Also whenever I've had questions the people @ knifekits have been very helpful so you may want to give them a call regarding your thumbstud question.

Eric

Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Enthusiast

Try part number CTHSB. I think it'll look good on the 06. Chamfer the screw side of the blade so that the screw sits flush. Loctite the screw if it will be a permanent mount. If planning on further work with the blade omit the loctite.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 AM

Thank you both for your help! I'll order the CTHSB today, and be ready to chamfer the screw side. Pics of this project and others are forthcoming!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

Any updates?

Tags
blade, fl-006, kit, knife, knifekits.com, mount, thumbstud