MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 PM

Bobcat lockback kit

First off this is my first post. Been doing some reading and thought I would like to build a knife while here in Iraq with some what of an Iraq theme. Being away from home and my small shop, I deceided to go with a kit, as heat treating would be a problem and limited to very small basic hand tools being another.

Also finding an intrest in a folding knife, would like to have done a slip joint from scratch but the two problems previously stated rose again. So a lockback seemed like a good idea.

Really liked the Bobcat but then saw it was out of stock...dang..started searching around and seem to have found a fix to that one. Seems Texas Knife carries it also. They only call it the "Little Hawk Lockback, is this a true staement?

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=1307

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/produ...roducts_id=850

So I bet your now thinking where does the Iraq theme come in, well "Camel" bone scales of course...and they are on sale at Texas Knife also. So it may have worked better and saved shipping.

Has anyone put one of these together and if so have you any tips?

Thought I would try some Scrimshaw on the camel bone and file work as well.

I told a friend my idea, he liked it and ordered another kit as well. I'm sure others will jump aboard as they find out.

I'll try my best to keep you guys informed to my progress...Wish me luck!

Last edited by onemississipp; 09-16-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Master

First, welcome to the forum!

I made a few "iraq themed" knives myself a couple of years ago for a friend that was headed to the box. I think they're still on my website in my past examples - not camel bone, but they stick out like a sore thumb. The one actually has homemade old desert BDU micarta handles and another has a tan 550 cord wrap handle.

That's a nice little kit you've chosen and you have a good time doing it. I;m not sure what you're doing in Iraq, but I assume military. If you make friends with some guys in the motor pool you'll have all of the tools (and then some) you'll need to do any of these kits. If you are really interested in slipjoints though you might want to take a look at some of the trapper kits. It will give you a good idea of the geometry of a slipjoint.
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi

Tags
folding knife, knife, knives