MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

Ddr3bl

Just received a kit from CKK, the blade does not have a hole for the spring tip. Customer Service said something about heating the blade and drilling the hole, apparently due to liability issues they no longer will sell them with the hole drilled. Have any of you dealt with this issue?
Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Steel Addict

I just completed a DDR3-BL a couple of days ago. I purchased the partially serrated blade and it had the hole. It was ordered on Jan 8, 09. I wonder if my blade was some old stock.

I was going to order several more of these knives.... I think I'll wait until Jonathan or someone from CKK chimes in before I do.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Skilled

Oooh. That's interesting - but not unforeseen.

My suggestion would be to get a carbide tipped (or full carbide) drill bit to drill the hole. That way you don't have to heat the steel and spoil the temper and hardness.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

Does customer service have a name. I can't see anyone knowledgeable about heat treating telling you to heat a blade when the idea of making kit knives is because You
don't have a full shop as a knife maker. They have not put out to the consumer that
This is taking place. I think you got the wrong blade for the bl kit or you didn't order
The right kit to have the button and spring. I'd call them back and get another customer service rep.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 AM

BL Blades

Guys with the ever changing knife laws we had to stop production of the BL blades having the hole already drilled in them. You can drill it with a carbide spade drill with or without annealing the small 1/2 inch portion of the blade where the hole goes. Putting the blade in a vise with only that portion of the blade showing will disperse the rest of the heat into the vise jaws without doing damage to the heat treatment.

Jonathan C Musick
Knifekits.com
Old 02-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Steel Addict

Jonathan, do you at least mark or "center punch" where to holes should be drilled? I think, if the laws allow, this would be a great help.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 AM

The blade I received had a small mark (nick) in the blade for the hole mark. What size bit do we need and does CKK offer it?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Steel Addict

Any answers to the above questions? I also have one to put together and need the information.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:27 PM

Smile BL Blade

Sorry guys I have been tied up with work.

The BL blades do have a mark on them so you know where to drill the hole. You will need a 3/64 carbide spade drill that we do carry at Knifekits

Jonathan
Old 02-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Enthusiast

Knife Kits looks to me like it is committing business suicide, first you stop selling balisong kits, and now you are not supplying blades with a hole drilled in them for the BL knives..but in both case you fail to notify your customers...........I was thinking very strongly about buying a Typhoon Bali kit, but then you stopped doing them, I had thought about getting another Bl kit..but now you've changed the specs...personnally I wouldn't like to see your accounts at the end of the finnancial year

Old 02-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Skilled

Business suicide? Are you kidding me? Knifekits still sells excellent quality knife kits and supplies. The only thing changing is their offering of "grey area" items like automatics and balisongs. If you look around and read the laws and regulations, automatics are illegal for Joe Sixpack to own just about everywhere, and balisongs with a sharpened blade are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Your post is ill informed at best. Real business suicide would be continuing to offer these items for sale and exposing themselves to lawsuits and legal scrutiny - then having to pay out settlements, fines, and lawyer fees.

Besides, how much work could it possibly be to drill a hole? Honestly! If you really want to defy the law and make an automatic, fine, but you can't blame knifekits.com for trying to keep from getting shut down down by the regulators. And if you want a sharp balisong, sharpen the Swing Safe Edge blade - it's hardened and tempered for you already. All you have to do is take a stone to it.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

"Your post is ill informed at best. Real business suicide would be continuing to offer these items for sale and exposing themselves to lawsuits and legal scrutiny - then having to pay out settlements, fines, and lawyer fees."

A knife is meant to cut, does that mean that if somebody cuts themselves with a kitchen knife they can sue the manufacturer?.......I think not.

This may not be business suicide.....I have no idea what knife kits best selling products are........I do know that the customer comes first in business and you must cater for their needs if you want to keep on selling to them. I think that there is pi$$ poor customer service here, when companies start withdrawing products or altering them without telling their customers that is bad..if I bought a DDR3 and there was no hole in the blade suppose I sent it back because I thought it was faulty? would I get a refund?
As to customers, when the Balisongs were withdrawn i.e. the Tsunami and the Typhoon there was no mention of it.and folks had to ask as they did about the DDR3............and they were given some sales spiel..one guy said that he didn't want a trainer and I know where he is coming from I don't want one either, nor a switchblade without the correct parts drilled out....think about this now ,we are coming into a very bad recession................most of the folks who buy Knife kits are knife nuts who want to have a go, not seasoned knifemakers, most of the folks don't have a shop..if I want to drill a hole in the blade then I need a tungsten carbide tip, I also nee a drill press to drill the hole and some sort of vice to hold it.if I get a blunt trainer and I want to sharpen it then I need a grinder and linisher....I am not going to buy these things just so I can put a knife kits knife together....if I want an auto I can buy a mikov kit for half the price, with IMHO a superior leaf spring..and no need of any additional machinery.....

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Skilled

You statement of:
"A knife is meant to cut, does that mean that if somebody cuts themselves with a kitchen knife they can sue the manufacturer?.......I think not."
Is short sighted. A knife is meant to cut. But if the government here passes laws on the manufacture of specific knives or knife parts, it is fiscally irresponsible for the manufacturer to continue making and selling those parts or kits in direct opposition to the law. Think about that for a minute. If the government tells you not to do something, and you do it anyway, what do YOU think is going to happen?

We're not talking "knives" in general. We're talking about one very specific product offering unique to one manufacturer. They even provide a center punched mark, so that IF you want to, oh I don't know, convert a perfectly legal knife to something that MIGHT be illegal in your SPECIFIC locality - totally without guidance from instructions or encouragement from the manufacturer... you can.

Rest assured, knifekits.com will continue selling sharp and pointy things for quite some time.

Other than that, the balisongs require nothing more than complex than a sharpening stone - which Knifekits.com sells, or you can stop by your local hardware store. It's Just Not That Hard. Neither is drilling a hole using a carbide drill bit. You can easily do it using a hand drill - or an antique brace if you so desire. Honestly, if you're paying $60 for the kit, another $12 for the carbide bit to make it fully functional is only secondary - and is useful for more than just one kit.

And beyond that, I strongly suggest you look at the laws in your country (UK, according to your profile block). You'll find that even owning a fully operational (automatically opening) DDR3BL will land you in prison for 3 months. This is part of the Offensive Weapons Act of 1959. In fact, depending on the specific judge, even a DDR3BL WITHOUT the spring could land you in jail - considering it can be opened by means of gravity or with a flick of the wrist.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Jorvik,

The BL is legal with and without the hole. As long as you build it as shipped, it's a manual opening knife and won't offend anyone. Our main reasons for not drilling the blade this time was to save cost and to offer a better solution for those who complained that the action was too weak in the standard position on the old model. With the dimple in the standard position as a reference point, you can drill your hole in any stronger position based on personal preference. And you don't have to think too much to do it.

The balisongs are different. As far as mass appeal, we feel that we make the highest quality training balisong ever produced. The Typhoon Trainer series, properly built, can be higher quality than anyof the currently available production balisong under $300 on the market today. Not only do we feel that it is higher quality, but we feel that it's a better value. The average guy, like me, can do amazing tricks right out of the box without ever worrying about getting a finger sliced off.

As was said, you can sharpen that blade any time you want to. But, our goal was to be the best at something, and we did it... The Typhoon Trainer is the best training/show balisong ever produced, a far cry from rubber coated cast metal at twice the price! Agree?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Steel Addict

As a loyal customer I support KnifeKits selling or not selling whatever keeps them in business. In my experience the service and products have always been top shelf. Keep doing the things that you do. I am a sales manager and the things that keep you in business in my experience are quality products, good prices and customer service. If some people can?t or don?t understand that, then you will not make sales to them and best focus energy in places that pay off. Just my two cents.

Tags
annealing, back, balisong, bee, blade, building, butterfly knife, coil spring, ddr3, drill, easy, fire, hand, kit, knife, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, pivot, show, switchblade, tiny