MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Steel Addict

Modern Skinner & MOD1-A

Here are pics of the new assisted opening folders from KnifeKits.com, and their Modern Skinner with Cocobolo Scales.

MOD1-A

Modern Skinner, Cocobolo scales

Last edited by MSWallace; 12-09-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typ0
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Steel Addict

Got the sheath done for the Modern Skinner.

Thanks for looking.
Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Steel Addict

Well, I made both and neither one turned out a nice as yours. I like the sheath for the skinner nice even stiching. Thanks for showing your work. Whiskers
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the comment Whiskers. I'm new to this leatherwork, but enjoying it. Mike
Old 01-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered

I just received the Skinner Kit for Christmas. This will be my first attempt at putting something like this together, but I have some mechanical skill.
When peening the pins on the bolters and finishing it out do the pins just blend with the bolters or is there another method to doing it?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Steel Addict

Insayn, I can tell you how I do it. There may be a better way..... if so, hopefully someone will chime in.

The photo above is the third Modern Skinner I have assembled. Two using the bolsters and one without.

First I make sure the bolsters are flat on the backside and at the rear where they will contact the scales. Sand if necessary. I sand these by setting a piece of sandpaper face up on a scrap of granite, and then move the bolster across the sandpaper. This works well to keep the sanded surface flat.

Next, I finish the face of the bolsters. It hard to it after the knife is assembled without scratching the blade.

Then I very slightly countersink the holes in the bolsters, giving the peened pin an area to expand into. Epoxy everything up, and assemble. Then peen lightly, moving from one end of the pin to the other. I keep flipping the knife over and alternately peen each end of all four pins. The pins will eventually expand tightly into the holes in the bolsters.

Next attach the scales, I don't peen the pins when using Cocobolo, it seems to hard and brittle and I'm afraid of cracking the scales. I epoxy the pins into the holes and rely on that.

Then sand the bolsters and scales till it looks like a knife. Hope this answered your question, if not, please ask again.

Enjoy the kit,
Mike
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Registered

I stated finishing the bolsters this afternoon. I didn't see your post until after I started. To try and get a symmetrical look on both sides I slid the pins into the bolters and lined both sides up. I then Superglued the two halves together and started off with the belt sander then moved to a die grinder with a sanding disk to begin to smooth out the curves. I should have used a lower grit so I could round the edges at a more conservative pace for control. So far not bad...I think I will take it down a notch and start hand sanding them like you suggested. Not to hijack, but here is what I have done so far...a little rounder edge.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM

Nice work as usual Mike!
I love those folders.

Michael
Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Steel Addict

Insayn, Looking good.... The hand sanding I was referring to was on the backside of the bolsters, the side that goes against the tang of the knife. Sometimes there is a burr from when they are cast or stamped out. Like you, I also use the belt sander on the tops, but I do it after the knife is assembled and the scales are attached. I can get a good flush fit, bolster to scale that way.

Hope that makes sense, looking good, keep the pics coming......

Hi Michael, good to see you over here.... Wish there was more going on in these kit forums, but, it is what it is.......

Mike
Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Steel Addict

I built 3 of those Mod1GH kits last week. Got to say I wasn't impressed. All 3 kits went together differently and only 1 works as it should. 1 kit was missing a clip screw and 2 scale scale screws were to short. They did send me some replacement kits to get the parts I needed and that was VERY trusting of them, so thats good. I just didn't figure on them being diferent or taking much modification.
Other than that they are Very nice knives

Tags
blade, knife, knives