MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Registered

Will handle material take stain

I recently picked up some nice slabs from a knife I am making out of "stabalized" redwood. As I understand it the slabs are put in a vaccum and a polymer is introduced and gets drawn into the wood. Upon finish sanding all that is required is to buff the wood to a high polished finish.

I would like to give the wood a slight redish tint. Does anyone know if stain will penetrate this treated wood effectively. I would stain just before steel wooling it smooth and polishing.

The wood before buffing seems to be able to absorb moisture when touching it with a damp rag.

Thanks,,
DonT
Old 12-09-2008, 04:26 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Don,
I wouldn't think that staining is an option if the Redwood is stabilized. Do you have a scrap of the material you could give it a try on? I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon..... The only "stabilized" wood I've used is some I did myself, with Minwax Wood Hardener.

Welcome to the forums,
Mike
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Skilled

I' m not sure but i don't think it will penetrate it might stain the outside but there would be no absortion. Take a small piece of the material and give it a go. Let us know if it works.

Bob

Last edited by Robert Mayo; 12-09-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:34 PM
Guru

Once you stabilize it will NOT take stain, varnish, dye or anything else for that matter.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 01-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Steel Addict

Don't think for a minute that certain dyes wont stain stabilized wood or micarta. It may not soak in very deep and may be hard to get an even finish but it WILL stain the material.

Feibings leather oil dye is an example of a stain that will, I had a couple sheaths bleed on me and it got on the handles of a couple knives and I couldn't get all the stain off. I think I had forgotten to wipe the sheaths down good after the dye dryed before I put the top coating on. Never had it happen on any others.

Tags
knife, knives