MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Pipecrafter,
Help with the screw count. As per the parts list: (6) .110 screws, I understand these are for the liners. (4) .130 screws, I assumed these were for the scales but I need 6? (2) .200 screws what are these for ( I only got one? I assume (again) that the (2) .260 screws are for the pocket clip.
I also bent the spring harness.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Skilled

To be honest, I didn't measure any of the screws. I just separated them by like size and style, and went from there. Count your holes and your screws, if you're short, give CKK a call and let them know. The only thing sort of confused me was the two screws for the spring, but after a little trial and error, I got it figured out.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Registered

My first knife kit ... two questions

I have ordered a Mod1-a kit. This will be my first kit. I'm really looking forward to playing with it.

My usual EDC is a Pro-Tech Runt, and I really like it.

But I was looking to branch out, and am interested in knifemaking, yada yada yada. This kit really caught my eye.

First, the phosphor bronze washers. I am getting the impression that they are better than nylon/teflon washers. Should I have ordered a set when I ordered my kit? Is this a "general good idea" when building folders?

Second, the Mod1-a page has three items on it. The kit, the washers and a different kind of standoff. Is this an option? Something better than the standard one in the kit? Looks to be more adjustable. Any reason that I should have ordered one?

If this kit turns out like I expect it to, I may make a few gift ones. Could plan ahead on those purchases with a little info/opinion on this.

Thanks,

Roger
Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Roger, I just completed three of the Mod1-A kits a couple of days ago. The tips posted above are all excellent and will aid you in completing your knife. The Phos/Bronze washers are an upgrade and will probably insure a smoother deployment of the blade.

As mentioned above, the blade, in the closed position, hits on the rear standoff. I see that Knifekits now has an optional standoff listed under the Mod1 on the website. I ordered three to replace the ones that came in my kits, and also ordered three sets of bronze washers.

On one of my kits the liner lock would not engage when the blade was open. The problem was that the button screw was hanging up on the back "wood" scale. I dug/chiseled out the scale and it worked fine afterwards.

Have fun with the kit and let us know how it goes....

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Registered

Got my Mod1-a kit. Impressions

Again, this is my first knife kit. But it is fun.

I built it once "dry" to see how it all went together. Then I took it apart and cleaned it all up. Reassembled with some loctite, so I don't have to worry about things vibrating loose later.

My impressions:

1. It's bigger than I thought. I know, the sizes are all spelled out and listed. But you don't get a real feel for a knife until you pick it up. It is still small enough to carry. No problem at all for a glove compartment, or camping or survival kit.

2. There are a lot of pieces in this kit. But they all came and nothing was missing. I managed to shoot about half of them across the room at one point or another. Luckily, no carpet on the deck under my work area, and some groveling on the floor with a flashlight and I was able to find all of them.

3. The instructions are lacking. Two photographs of the assembled knife without the scales. For a newbie, a little unclear. But with some thought, and experimentation, no problem figuring out what goes where.

4. The clip is too big, and the location makes it very uncomfortable to use. I don't figure I'll use it. It does mount snugly and securely.

5. Fit and finish were very good. Not very much flash or little bits of metal left from the tapping process. A light going over with a fine file was all it took.

6. The dymondwood scales are nicely finished. I read that some folks don't like them, but since there is extensive milling on them, alternatives would be tough.

7. The blade does whack into the standoff. I used a triangular file to notch it.

Overall, a great little kit. If I order any more, I will get the phosphor bronze washers. I would also pop for the standoff that is listed along with the kit on the web page. Save a step or two in tuning.

I took a few photos when building the second time. I may do a little pictorial review thing for the parent site.

Best to all,

Roger
Old 12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Skilled

I actually took the first one I built, tuned it up as I described, and it's going to my brother-in-law as a Christmas present. Overall I really like this kit.

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, knife, knives