MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Guru

sure let me get it in first and i'll have loads of photo's

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 11-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Administrator

BTW Guys...

The DDRII was the same knife as the 605-mini. Koval named it that because it worked better for their stock number system. Darrel's street address is 605... (In retrospect, they should have named it "The-#1", as it was their best selling all-time product. And, congratulations should go to Darrel, who never got credit for that accomplishment, as it was kept a trade secret!) Nice work, Big Daddy!!!

The immediate future?
However, the new DDRII models are a completely different design, on a technical scale. Yes, the kits are based on the same basic profile, but the blades will not interchange without substantial modification. Also the new generation DDRII's have a better blade finish (high-satin) and the bolsters have been improved to include a better screw recess. Any blades that you find on the market that are bead blasted are left over from the old design. It was cheaper for us to bead blast them back then and that's how we did them, expecting that our makers would want to put the finish on their own blades as part of the build. However we decided to give you the highest quality available right out of the box like you expect from us.

The rest of the new design's improvements are in the fit-up and overall parts quality. We have learned a few things over the years. Actually, we've wanted to change the design for quite a while to incorporate the improvements, but we were tied to previous agreements that expired with Koval's demise. That's why we retired the DDRI from our line. It was hard to sell that model against the DDR3 series improvements. We decided not to reintroduce that model as an improved unit, but to replace it with a completely new one that is coming out in 2007 ... rumor has it that it will include a new opening mechanism.

The new DDRII is almost complete and should see pre-orders shipping soon. Once the new models hit the street, there won't be any question about the reason for our decision to revamp it. We're going to strive to keep the best ideas and products on the street at all times.

In fact, addressing the complaints about the removal of previous models from our line?
We're not going to be one of those companies that sell the same tired designs for 20 years. If you've been following us over the last 5 years, you've seen us introduce and retire several great designs. Darrel and I made the decision to avoid product stagnation years ago and that?s exactly what we?ve done. If we announce that we?re retiring a model, and you?re in love with it, don?t wait around. Buy some ASAP. Once they?re gone, that?s probably it!

Like someone once said...
Follow us to the future! That's where the future is!!!

This is our forum, the forum where we talk about knife kits. If you ever want to hear it from the source, this is the place to ask it!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Guru

KNAdmin,

Quote:
the blades will not interchange without substantial modification.
what type of mods are you refering to?

Ed

Old 11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Without giving away the main secret, these will include "the most tunable" lockup that we've ever offered. Also, the profile will be visually similar, but not mechanically identical.

Like we said, we redesigned the DDRII.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Guru

ok here's the blade, it came in today.

and the part that matters

Ed

Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Steel Addict

ed that is beautiful......did you have someone do that custom, or did you order it from somewhere? how much?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:52 PM
Guru

$59 from snake river knives. grand does a wonderful job and he has some more up on ebay. He is the one who ground my patriot bowie.

I figure the worse case is it wont' fit the new ddr2's at all and I would have to design my own knife to go with it, oh the horrors

Ed

Old 11-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Steel Addict

thanks for the info....i have a set of liners for the old DDR2, and i believe all the hardware also. however i do not have a good set of bolsters, but if you found a set id be happy to let you have the parts, if you covered shipping costs. whatever you decide, i wish you good luck and please post some more pics of it when your done.

edit: the parts i have are for the regular DDRII, not the mini.

Last edited by derek parker; 11-15-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Compared to others I've seen, that looks great!

For those newbies who are reading this, a couple of caveats:

Buyer beware:
Misinformation from the seller's Ebay listing...

Quote:
This is a Darrell Ralph 605 mini,TWIST pattern Damascus FOLDER Blade. This blade also fits the Linville mingo by Tim Britton and the DDr2 also
This is "not" a Darrel Ralph DDRII knife kit blade. Darrel Ralph had nothing to do with that blade, nor does CKK have anything to do with endorsing the product or this seller.

The only reason I say this is to help us avoid having to support the fit-up or performance of one these blades in the future. Trust me, the call is coming. Since you all brought it up, I'm making this my reference thread!

If we sell you (or one of our authorized dealers sells you) a Damascus blade for one of our kit models, it was produced by, is tested by and will be warrantied by us, CKK Industries, Inc. If you have any questions about the authenticity of one of our blades, please let us know and we'll be happy to help you resolve it.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Steel Addict

alex, i was wondering in the near future what folder kits will you offer a damascus upgrade on? i have a customer literally calling me all the time wanting a damascus blade for his DDR3BL.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Guru

I have had custom stuff cut from this guy and he's VERY good at what he does and one of the better smiths I have ever seen. As for fit goes that will have to be seen when I get the ddr2 in, btw when are they shipping?

perhaps the better would on the auction would have been to add 'design' or 'pattern' ?

Ed

Old 11-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Derick,

We do a couple of short runs each year for every DDR designer folder we make. Previously we were doing them from Mike Norris damascus. We may change to ATS 34 damascus this year, but the other parts of the process will be the same. We'll be adding the the new DDRII's and the DDR3-BL this year.

Ed,

The last group of parts are in-route to us now. We'll be making the release announcement within the next couple of weeks!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-19-2006, 07:35 PM

Hey Ed-

From here it looks like your guy did a decent job on that damascus DDRII blade.

Just by looking at the pic I can't tell how it's gonna fit. However I do think you might have some issues with a couple of the areas on the etched blade...specifically around the pivot and along the detent ball's path....and along the back of the tang where it contacts the lock. Prior to etching it's best to apply resist to those areas...otherwise you're almost certainly going to have some real problems with rubbing against the etched steel.

I'd sure like to hear (and see) how it turns out when you get it done. The DDRII is one of my all-time favorites...It'll be cool to see one with a damascus blade.

Dennis Greenbaum

Old 11-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Ed, I have several sets of bolsters if you need them for Derek's offer. Just let me know. The same goes for you Derek if you decide you want to use them.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Guru

dennis,

for some reason I didnt' see your reply but thanks for the info. I can always polish those areas if need be. Since this guy makes some awsome damascus stuff I am thinking about sending him the new ddr2 bade to make me some damascus ones.

randy, sure that would be great, message me the details on it if you want.

Ed

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives