MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 06-04-2002, 12:06 PM
JStevenJ

Damascus steel, 1st time, need advise

Hello,
I have been making knives since the eight grade (I',m 39) but never used any Damascus. I've been doing a lot of research on it and would like some advice on what steels to start with. I'll be using a propane forge that I have almost complete. Forging with a hammer and anvil - not a press. I have a piece of 1" cable I was thinking of using for the first try but would like your advice on the steels to use for the best results for future blades.

Also once I shape the blade by forging, then grind the blade to the final shape how much polishing and buffing is required. Should I finish it like I would a blade from 440C or does it have to that smooth for the etch process?

One more thing. I have found no reference of actually heat treating the blade. Is the blade heat treated by the forging process or is thier further heat treating required after the blade is shaped. Maybe it depends on the type of steels used???

Thanks, Steven
Old 06-04-2002, 07:06 PM
aiiifish

Damascus

Drop down to Ed Caffrey's forum. You'll get a better response and Ed makes some #### fine Damascus .

Steve
Double S Custom

Tags
forge, forging, knives