MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered

Advice for a Newb

Hey, thanks for looking over my post. I recently ordered a kit knife after seeing a finished example I really liked and want to replicate. I sort of made this purchase with out knowing what I am doing yet, haha. But this seems like a fun hobby and something I will enjoy learning about.

My main question is about reference material. I am looking to purchase a book that covers the technical aspects of forming and completing a knife. I am not ready to forge my own blades so i want to buy a book that will cover the finishing process with much detail. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I will continue searching this forum for ideas but would like to have reference material on hand and I have some amazon gift cards to use for this.

Just so you know what i am trying to do, I will let you know I bought the delta 5 drop point kit and I really like the example with the carbon fiber grips from knifekits.com.

I have access to a machine shop at school but I don't want to go in there until I have a set plan on how I am going to make this.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
Enthusiast

I have started this way, as well. I do have a DVD that might help you. I would really like to see you get a copy of the "$50 Dallor Knife Shop" That is a very good book. I do have a few things I can send you as well. Knife parts, like scales, pins, and a few kit blades I would part with for a small price. Send me your info and we will talk.
James Clair, Archer Moon.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Hi Keebaw!

Welcome to KNet!!!!

The knife that you're trying to simulate is a variation of the D5, where we used a bead-blast finish and tubing for the handle treatment. The little notch that you see in the handle was done by using a rock wheel, then finishing it with hand files to square the edges.

PS - that's one of our most requested mods!!!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 04-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Registered

I would just see if I could get someone on the phone. Most are extremely helpfull. Good luck,

Tags
forge, hobby, kit, kitchen, knife, post