MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 09-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Replacement Knife Inquiry

First-time poster looking for some collective insight.

I've carried a knife in my pocket since I was 11. Likely 9. My last knife was a gerber bolt-action locking folder and I loved it. Had it in my pocket every day for > 25 years until 5 days ago. I think I may need a replacement as mine has flown-the-coop.

I rarely used the skinner or the saw, but I liked having them. I'm a fan of a good tool not necessarily a knife nut, but that's the tool in question.

I like having a pocket-knife as I use one every day for something, always have. I don't know much about knives other than that gerber was an excellent tool-in-my-pocket. I'd like something similar, same size, same quality construction, same sort of blade material. That's all there is to it.

I'm hoping I can get some decent recommendations from you guys.

Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 AM
Super Moderator

Gerber is still in business, and there are several other commercial companies offering similar knives. If you don't have any particular use for those extra blades, it makes it a bit easier to find a good knife. Look for good quality steel and stay away from anything advertised as "surgical steel". (Since there isn't any such thing, it really means "whatever steel we could get cheap".)

You might also look over at some place like knifekits.com and consider building your own knife. There are kits that can be done by beginners using simple hand tools. If you make a knife (even from a kit) it will truly be "your" knife.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Steel Addict

What a great knife! I carry one in my hunting backpack to this day. I left the skinner blade on the tailgate of my truck and drove off and lost it. I contacted Gerber and they sent me a prototype that they had in a vault somewhere and gave it to me for free since it is no longer made. I wish you well in finding "the" knife for you.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM

Hi fellas, thanks for your replies.

The Gerber was awesome for everything I used it for, that's for sure. It's this one, by the way: http://bk.homelinux.com/bk/frankish/...n1-300x112.png

My criteria for a replacement are as follows:

small enough to never draw attention
durable enough to use every day until I?m dead
high carbon content steel or S30V
3.14″ blade or a bit smaller
drop point blade
thick spine on blade
if complete with clip said clip must be removable
no holes in blade
handle with no slip features
reliable lock

So far the Kershaw Blur looks pretty good. I couldn't find many high carbon blades for folders at all. Most were 440c stainless. That's not what I want, really. I'm a little intrigued about this s30c steel.

That 'Blur" has a curved blade which looks pretty handy for cutting but looks like a chore to sharpen. I know I hate sharpening my lawnmower blades for a similar reason. I suppose I'd get used to it and time would give me experience with the curve.

You fellas have blades with s30c steel? It's been a long time since I had to buy a knife; I've never even heard of it until the other day.

Thanks all.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 AM

Knife FOUND!

Wife found it in a laundry basket in the basement. Huh. I really thought it was gone this time. Usually I know it's in a pocket somewhere but not this time.

I still want to replace it. It's time to retire this one to the toolbox in the garage. Hell, the duct tape has been there for 20 years. Lol. Even though it's never failed I no longer trust the lock.

http://bk.homelinux.com/images-mine/oba2.jpg

I like the Kershaw Blur and will check it out somewhere this weekend. Still soliciting recommendations, though.

Tags
awesome, bee, blade, blades, building, folder, hand, hunting, kershaw, knife, knifekits.com, knives, lock, made, material, pocket, sharpening, simple, skinner, stainless, steel, tools