MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered

Assisted opening folder kit question.

I'm a rank beginner here. I live in Oklahoma and have recently decide to try my hand at putting a knife kit together. I've been making ink pens for a while now so I've got a good selection of tools, but I've never made a knife.

After reading through the forum I've decided to start with two kits the:
MOD1-A - Assist http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=1641
FLX25 http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...roducts_id=860

My question is, what keeps the assisted opening knife from opening in your pocket? I realize there's a button that you use that helps open it, but what keeps you from accidentally pushing the button and having it open in your pocket? I have a Kershaw assisted open knife and it has a cheesy little slide that blocks the tip of the blade from opening in your pocket, but it still happens sometimes.

Great forum by the way. I look forward to learning a lot.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Skilled

Those twi kits are two very different animals. The FLX25 is perfect for a first knife kit, the MOD1-A is slightly more complicated. It requires some cajoling to get right. That said, the MOD1-A has a positive lock closed - the spring actually pulls it closed until you reach a certain point in it's opening, then it switches directions and pulls the blade open.

The Button on the MOD1-A doesn't help you open it. It helps you *close* it.

BTW: I have a Karshaw Onion. It has never opened in my pocket over the last 5 years I've owned it.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Kurt. I checked out your website and was surprised to find out that we visit the same pen turning forum. You are a man of many talents. Yeah, the Kershaw onion opening in my pocket isn't a common occurrence. My dad has had the same thing happen to him as well. It's not so much as it opens in the pocket as it starts opening as you try to remove it from your pocket. I think I'm more interested in the MOD1-A - Assist after your reply knowing how the assisted open mechanism works now. Thanks

Tags
blade, knife