MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Skilled

DDR3 tactical recurve

Howdy all! Been busy so I haven't had time to work on knives recently, but that changed yesterday. I finally got around to finishing a DDR3 that I've have lying around forever:

More images at:
http://www.loneadmin.com/albums/knife_07_num1/

And since I hate shiny knives, all metal bits were sandblasted with aluminum oxide, then glass bead for a finish that is somewhere between satin and matte. It is extremely non-reflective. The only concession to dressing it up is the white vulcanized spacer material between liners and the handle material.

Since this is a "tactical" knife, I decided to give it handles of black [edit: not canvas] linen micarta instead of wood. I toyed with using briar since it's a very stable wood, but in the end I decided that a phenolic material would be more robust, and stand up to the elements much better. Along those same lines, I decided to sandblast the micarta handles to create a very tactile and grippy surface. It worked out
incredibly well. It's got a feel something like sharkskin - without the skin-shredding sharpness of sharkskin. Even wet, the knife simply *will not* slip out of your hand.

It's about 5oz, making it hefty, but not "heavy". I've been carrying it around in the pocket of my sweats all day, and I barely notice that it's there. The real test will be when I slip into my pocket
and head to work. It's not exactly a small knife.

I thought I had some black paracord around here, and as soon as I find it, I'm going to make a braided lanyard for it. That will make pocket or pouch removal quick and easy. I didn't put a pocket clip on it, because I really don't think it's appropriate for a knife this large to have one. Instead, I'll probably make a quick-release Kydex holder that clips onto my belt or something.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by pipecrafter; 04-30-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 PM
Skilled

Nice jpb Kurt, looks like you planned it all out.

Bill
Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Pipecrafter,

Did you ever make the kydex holder for it? I've been toying w/ the idea myself and wanted to see how yours turned out.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Skilled

I sure did! I'll take a pic when I find some time. Feel free to ping me if you don't see it in a few days.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I like the recurve myself. Im gonna pick one up sometime. Nice classic lines
looks good
Dave
Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Registered

1st post

hi, FNG here. Ordered my 1st knifekit kit a couple days before Christmas. I've built a few others and some from scratch over the years.
I got the package 2 days after and spent my new Years eve working on it. I did a bunch of upgrades, damascus blade, imistag for grips, turquoise for thumbstud and button,as well as a "spring". not a cheap kit with the addons but its a sortof a once-in-a-lifetime knife for me.
I had ordered the cheap scales to use as a pattern for the bone-stag and it worked out pretty well. I wound up with a slight paper-thick gap between bolsters and scales but nothing that a smidge of black glas-bedding compound won't cure.

I've had a little problem holding the pivot in place to adjust the pivot tension. I wish the liners had the flat to match the pivot barrel. The button tends to stick (might be hanging up on the liner hole edge) and the action is a bit slow. I wonder if the bronze bushings would work with this setup and maybe both tighten and slick it up a little
The blade has a little bit of play, like the spring is not holding it tight against the stop. I've ordered the mega-spring but I'll need to modify the liner and bolster to handle the slightly larger diameter.

I had a little problem with the blade edge touching the middle spacer enough to just lightly curl the edge. I've modified the blade shape a little to give it a bit more 'curve to the belly and I also removed and flattened the inner side of the spacers to give a bit more room. cured that issue.
I also forgot to order the drill and tap for the clip screws---not something you can find at the local Tru-Value or Lowes. Oddly enough the local T-V DID have a nice selection of Torex bits down to #3.

I'm not loc-titing it yet. I'm hoping for a steel replacement for the "safety button" or may just file one out myself.

I'd like to see a metal safety with enough bulk on the outside to play with the shape some also some damascus bolsters cut and milled to fit
Old 01-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipecrafter
I sure did! I'll take a pic when I find some time. Feel free to ping me if you don't see it in a few days.
Consider yourself pinged.

Thanks,
S1N

Tags
blade, knife, knives