MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

FL-25X questions

I recently ordered a FL-25X kit and I did a rough assembly to see how it goes. I have a couple of questions...

First, when I open and close the blade, it does not feel smooth. I looked at the end of the blade and I see that there is a slight rippling pattern on there. I sanded it off lightly, and it seemed to help. Will the phos-bronze washers help with that?

Second, I want to do some file work and polishing on the blade. I attempted to take off the thumb stud, but I am having no luck. I have a couple pairs of pliers with take over the jaws and I just can not get them to budge. I can get the whole thing to turn, but I can not get the threads to loosen. I have already scratched them a bit. Am I missing something? Am I being too gentle with it?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Guru

what was the thumb studs put on with? If it was the loctite stuff you need to heat it. As for being smooth you have to do some tuneup's to it. Before you cut anything make sure it really needs to be cut then cut it.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Registered

The thumb stud was put in before it shipped to me. It could have loctite.

I figured that was the deal with the texture on the end of the blade. I am not afraid of tuning. Once I get the thumb stud off, it will be much easier.

I think I will try a little heat today and try to get it off. If I damage it too much, I'll add a thumb stud to my next order.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Guru

suppose you could always break the thumb stud then buy another one.

What are you using to polish the blade with? I find for metal the best thing on the market is brownells 555 grey compound does a super fast job. that is what is used in the firearm industry and I use it on all my stuff. it's way short and does a superb job.

Personally I like bead blasting then a light to medium buff polish. Gives it this creamy look

Old 09-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered

I think I was just being too "wimpy" with it. I put one side of the stud in a vice and hit it carefully with a butane torch. I grabbed the other with pliers and it came off. It is chewed up, but I suppose the extra few bucks will not kill me replacing it.

I am just sanding right now. I need to order some compound for polishing. I was going to go with something close to a mirror finish, but it is more like a satin now and I really like it. For the heck of it, I tried the "Superfine" 3M sanding pads. I am not sure what size grit it has, but it is finer that 400, for sure.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Guru

brownells 555 gray

Also get a 1/2" to 1" muslin wheel for it and a rake. From a satin finish to a mirror finish is about 5 mins tops on that setup.

Tags
blade, knife