MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Living Legend

Stone file II

I just built this new stone file and it is alot easier to use then my previous design. It uses 6x1/2x1/4" SiC or A/O EDM stones. You can get the stones in grits from 150 up to 800 from MSC direct.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH

I use this file to finish knives and to sharpen them. It can be used on allready hardened steel which regular files won't touch. The stone file is faster then sand paper and can even do some contouring. It is used with softened water to clear the cuttings.

This one was made from cinnamon wood (knob also) and is a very easy project that does not require any specialty tools. You can substitute the wood knob for a wingnut if you do not have a lathe. You could also use a wood drawer knob from the hardware or lumber store. Just drill out a hole in it and put a chunk of allready threaded tubing in. The allthread is 10-24 and is secured into the frame with a threaded hole and some gorilla glue. The wood should have some waterproof sealer on it because it will get water or whatever carrier you will be using (window cleaner, oil, water). I used thinned out tung oil so it will not be glossy slick.

It only takes a few seconds to swap out the stones for the next higher grit. The 150 grit stones really hog off alot of metal quickly. This system also gives you more choice of finishes then a regular metal file.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-03-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knife making, knives