MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Master

Is this Jan unusually slow or is every Jan this way?

Since I took the plunge and started selling knives in mid '09 I've been fairly busy. I've taken quite a few orders and made quite a few spec knives. All of my spec knives have gone within a few weeks after completion.....except for recently. I'm wondering if this is typical for Jan or if I'm just making the wrong spec knives. I know a lot of people are low on cash after the holidays so maybe this is normal. Are any of the rest of you experiencing the same thing?
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Hall of Famer

I don't know about knife sales, but I know a lot of people strapped for cash between the holidays and about the time income tax return checks come around. . .
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 AM
Skilled

January is always a slow time of year. For me, selling pipes and the occasional knife, the time between September and Christmas is the busiest. I think it's a mix of Christmas presents, and people having a little extra cash - though this past year wasn't anywhere near as busy as it has been in previous years.

I did sell more knives this year though, which made up for the light pipe sales.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
First of the year through tax refund time it always slow of knife sales. Another aspect we face these days is the MASSIVE influx of beginning/hobby knifemakers. Most of them who have recently jumped on the bandwagon are putting out a very low priced product, and based on what I've seen, the quality matches the prices.

Things will usually pick up as tax refund time rolls around, and continue to increase the rest of the year.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-04-2018, 06:22 AM

Not to be contrary but this has been the busiest post-Christmas season I've had in a long time. Usually this is my "Gone Fishin" time, but haven't had a chance to wet a hook. I do agree Ed, there has been a major influx in novice makers in the market. Been a real boon for suppliers and toolmakers, but think it will slow down a bit as people begin to realize the differences. Maybe even the price of anvils will stabilize....

I have had a surge in request for classes possibly due to all the TV shows, but there are only so many days in a calendar year and I stay booked out around 6 months anyway. Quite a few of the quality makers in the Georgia Guild are experiencing the same. Wouldn't think it a regional thing.

There does seem to be more readiness to spend that non-designated cash recently. I don't use the term "extra cash", really don't think that exist (doesn't in my world). We've had some pretty uncertain years in the recent past so I surely welcome that.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM
Master

Another year starts and reflection on the past. I'm finding that among the circle I know, $ is a tight thing and not just among knives. There will be a range of spending present yet those whom I poll are not having the flexibility for purchases.

I've read about the shrinking middle class which with corporate cost cutting is going to have impact on how some may proportion expenses. We've heard of enough jobs being cut so times for those sectors is going to have them being tighter. All depends on your market, low, mid high...

Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Guru

It isn't just knives.

I used to drive an 18 wheeler and Christmas through to middle of March an economic slowdown is a national phenomenon, except for the food industry which pretty much remains steady. Still even it slows down a little in late Winter. The holidays involve extra food purchases that stop come New Years. Imagine driving truck and for three months freight drops like a rock and your paycheck is halved. I did a lot of finish work on my knives when driving truck as there is a lot of down time.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Master

December was a crunch month, back in the day we'd be preparing for the Las Vegas Classic show. A few weeks later was Pasadena, Oregon, Solvang (as tourists) then Blade West. I'd wondered about the timing of some shows around things like taxes and such. Nov and Feb 1 for property tax then the IRS for April. I certainly am mindful preparing for those expenses. Add in the other life stuff like home insurance, car...to me those are all lean times.

As a collector I often bought in January at Vegas and Solvang in April. (What was I thinking?! )

Old 12-06-2023, 12:48 AM
Master

Experienced that the months after the kids are out of school that July and August were dead periods in sales. Sales around the bigger knife shows like Blade many are ramping up for these big gatherings.

CCKS (California Custom Knife Show) is one of our local events so makers that attend this show will be prepping each October for this show.

USN in Vegas, etc.

Tags
a, back, bee, beginning, blade, ca, chris, christmas, classic, collector, cutting, finish, georgia, hobby, home, instruction, knife, knives, make, makers, post, show, software, tools