MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM

starting a kit

I would like to build a folder kit but was wondering about the blade steel being AUS8. Is this a decent material? I usually work with 1084, 1095, O1 and D2 and was wondering were AUS8 falls in relation to quality, ease of sharpening and edge holding? This would be my 1st modern folder and would like to do a kit first to get the idea.

Thanks for any info..

Louis T.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Hi Louis,

AUS8 is excellent production stainless. 90% of today's elite factory knives are made with it. CRKT, Buck, Meyerco, most of the high-end manufacturer's are using it, and have for the last decade. It holds an edge very well and can be sharpened, maintained and modified with conventional equipment. The key to the argument, though, is "price". Nothing can beat AUS 8 for the price in today's production environment. If you have more money to spend, of course other steels can offer higher performance variables. However, we've found that most people want an S30v blade, but not at the prices that it takes to produce them.

If you can work in other steels, and have different performance preferences, we encourage you to use the existing blade as a pattern to design your own from. Our kits are fantastic finished off in their original form, but as learning aids, they're the industry standard for skill development.

Lastly, we offer a 100% satisfaction policy. If you build one, and do your best, follow the instructions and seek help, if needed...and still aren't happy with their performance, send them back and we'll refund your money!

Be careful, though. They're like potato chips... it's hard to stop with just one!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 11-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Alex, thanks for the response, I think that I will order a kit to try it out.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Steel Addict

Be careful, though. They're like potato chips... it's hard to stop with just one!

Alex[/QUOTE]

Boy if that isn't the understatement of the year... I've lost count since i got sucked into this vortex... ha

I have used the AUS8 and it is a fine steel to have an overall knife made of. I'm not a fan of having to grind it, but working from a kit you don't have to deal with that.

Erik
Old 11-22-2011, 06:14 PM

I have another question, I am looking at the DDR3 TC. I would like to use phosp/bronze washers to upgrade the kit but I cannot figure out what size is needed. Are they both the same size or do I need 2 different sizes. Same question with the thumd stud,will all of them work with this kit ?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Hi Louis,

Use the .020 3/16's for the ddr3 series.

Here's a link to the ones you want (DDR3 upgrade phos-bronze washers)

On the thumb studs, you may have to drill the blades for the collar of some of the other models to fit through. I've seen users try them all, and it looks to me like the originals are the best option in the end. Once you get to large on the O.D., the edge of the stud overlaps the blade spine or stops the blade from completely closing, unless you recess the handle and liner (ala Dave Bettencourt)

Holler if you have any questions!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, crkt, folder, kit, kits, knife, knifekits.com, knives, sharpening