MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-07-2005, 08:16 PM

Left handed vs. Right handed

I'm a new knifemaker and recently began making my own sheaths. Actually it came as a request from a customer who wanted a sheath rather than a soft pouch. I had been practicing for a while until I felt that I could produce a quality sheath. Well I made 4 sheaths for 4 new knives and sold everyone . I was pleased, until one of the purchasers emailed me to tell me that my sheath was made for a left handed person. What really upset me was that he said that he just wanted to make me aware of this little "mess up." Then he told me not to worry that he had another sheath that he would use. That sort of chapped my @$$ . I am left handed and as it turns out I made all 4 left handed. It wasn't on purpose it just came naturally.

:confused: QUESTION: Is there a proper side for the sheath? Is it wrong to make a left handed sheath? I know that there are more right handed people than left handed and that the majority rules but is there a proper way to do things?

Thanks for the advise

Mike

Old 11-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Skilled

Hey Mike: I make quite a few sheaths, averaging around forty to sixty a month. I only make left hand sheaths on request, because I sell probably 97% right hand. I do, as a matter of course check with each customer as to their preference. Strangely, I do have one right handed customer who always specifies left hand sheath, but he wears a pistol on the right side. Any way, put some ointment on that chapped A$$ and go with the flow. Try to remember to ask their preference. As far as which is correct??? Supply and demand tells us the answer to that one. Good luck with your knife making and sheath making.

Paul
Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Guru

Mike,I really don't think there is a "proper" side, but like you said, there are more right-handed people out there.Your chances of selling at shows will greatly increase if you please the masses. Not that you have to, as I still make somethings that I like that may not be the norm, but your chances to sell are reduced somewhat.Most of us make lefthanded sheaths upon request. I know that I have had to change out a sheath at a show for a customer that liked the knife but not the sheath that came with it.No big deal, swapped it to another knife and sold it anyway.If your planning on going to shows and doing this for awhile you need to listen to your customers and compensate. Keep those outside the norm for yourself and special cases.I hope this helps and wish you good luck.Dave
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Shure and begorra, Mike, my Gaellic friend-- There is no difference in a right or left handed sheath except the pattern is reversed , one from the other! When a sheath is worn on the right side, the edge of the blade and the welted edge of the sheath will be facing your backside. This is true of the sheath worn left handed, also. These sheaths are known as "strong side" for the right or left handed users. The right or left handed cross draw sheaths are different only in the design or cant (angle) of the attached belt loop. These are known as "weak side"----- I make a left handed sheath for less than 5%of my customers. I guess you south paws have gotten used to not being catered to and I think it is a ####ed shame! Time and materials involved are the same and I have always welcomed the change of pace.----------Sandy

Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Guru

####!!!, all three us on at the same time answering the same question.Hard to get better service than that. :cool: Dave
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 PM

Left or Right

OK. I'll admit when I made a mistake as a southpaw. We're allowed one every once in a while. Thanks for the advise. I guess the reason this bugged me was because I know this person well enough to know that he will never wear this sheath. But it dosn't change the fact that he knows the difference. OK I've vented. Now I can lick my wound and get busy taking care of customers. You guys always have an answer. Thanks for sharing.
Mike

Old 11-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

To end any possible confusion I ask the customer the following:

1) What size belt loop?
2) Are they left or right handed and which hand will they be drawing the knife with?
2) Do they want a cross draw or strong side?
3) Then finally do they want the blade edge forward or to the rear?

Personally I've never liked the convention of left handed or right handed as noted above by others, because too often I've found the customer doesn't understand the convention . Also as always being contrary to ordinary - while I generally wear my knife on the backside of my right hip (I'm right handed) I prefer the blade edge forward not to the rear - backwards according to the convention. This is partly due to my having long worn a sheath mid back mountain man style, partly because I've always naturally turned my hand palm out to draw with (sort of a twist draw), and finally I often wear my knife as a left hand cross draw while wearing my holster right hand cross draw..........

So my suggestion is always ask the above questions when possible and you will NEVER have the problem of left/right handed again or the correct belt size (to some belt size is not all that critical but on tactical sheaths in particular I find it is especially for the pros whose life may depend on the knife being in the correct position)............but then again I only make sheaths upon order so have the luxury of discussing these things with the customer, whereas you are a knifemaker who makes sheaths and will be "pre-making" sheaths for shows, etc.

- bottom line is NEVER assume.......

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:23 AM
Skilled

Sounds like, to me, you made 'em all perfectly.

Old 11-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Steel Addict

talk about the luck of the Irish! all these gurus on here at the same time,and i can't think of one good question to ask......

Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd
Sounds like, to me, you made 'em all perfectly.

You pretty well got that right.

Paul
Old 12-06-2005, 10:53 PM

I'm a lefty too and often ask for a left handed sheath. Most of the time all I get is a confused look and " this is all we got". I would more likely buy from the one that gave me a choice. Bob
Old 12-07-2005, 03:47 AM
Steel Addict

A mate of mine was in Papua/New Guinea some years ago for a while. In the highlands he noted that everyone had their knive/machette on the left hand side with the edge forward - (crossdraw) - he spoke to some natives and was told - that is the smart was to use the blade because when you draw it the first slash will hit the target/person - it was fairly rough at the time.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM

HEY, I'M ANOTHER LEFTY.
I NEED A SHEATH (LEFT HANDED) FOR MY RANDALL MODEL 3 WITH A 5" BLADE
HOW MUCH AND HOW MUCH TIME.
THANKS
KIRK MCFARLIN, pilotc7a@gmail.com
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows View Post
To end any possible confusion I ask the customer the following:

1) What size belt loop?
2) Are they left or right handed and which hand will they be drawing the knife with?
2) Do they want a cross draw or strong side?
3) Then finally do they want the blade edge forward or to the rear?

Personally I've never liked the convention of left handed or right handed as noted above by others, because too often I've found the customer doesn't understand the convention . Also as always being contrary to ordinary - while I generally wear my knife on the backside of my right hip (I'm right handed) I prefer the blade edge forward not to the rear - backwards according to the convention. This is partly due to my having long worn a sheath mid back mountain man style, partly because I've always naturally turned my hand palm out to draw with (sort of a twist draw), and finally I often wear my knife as a left hand cross draw while wearing my holster right hand cross draw..........

So my suggestion is always ask the above questions when possible and you will NEVER have the problem of left/right handed again or the correct belt size (to some belt size is not all that critical but on tactical sheaths in particular I find it is especially for the pros whose life may depend on the knife being in the correct position)............but then again I only make sheaths upon order so have the luxury of discussing these things with the customer, whereas you are a knifemaker who makes sheaths and will be "pre-making" sheaths for shows, etc.

- bottom line is NEVER assume.......

Spot on; that is the very same thing I do, most of all my work is custom orders so I LEARNED to ask the questions. It also gives that personal attention to the customer.

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to felizalde55
Always good lessons in this forum!!!

Thanks a lot.

Pancho

Tags
blade, blades, edge, holster, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, make, making, man, mountain, palm, randall, sheath, sheaths, tactical