MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 04-09-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

Question S&W, some general questions

I really like the look of the Smith & Wesson conversion (SWAT 5000b).

I've never shopped for an automatic knife so I don't really know what to look for...

The descriptions for this particular knife say it is a liner lock style. Doesn't that mean it has a spring on the spine that locks when the blade is open? Wouldn't that interfere with the automatic opening? How does this knife stack up against others?

What are your thoughts on this particular knife? I really like the style... what I'm looking for is what everyone wants, I suppose; snappy opening, stable lock when open, pleasing style.

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

[edit] Ok, I've done more research and given up on conversions. Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by Luthier; 04-11-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Registered

A liner-lock style has a spring detent that locks against the blade from the knife's liner, hence the term, liner-lock.

Conversions can be either decent or poor. I have an excellent Buck 110 that's been converted to an automatic. Get information and then go shopping. This is one of those areas that one must truly "do their homework/research" in order to satisfy their needs/desires.

Tags
blade, knife, switchblade