MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM

Steve, I just finished watching my copy of the video and it's great! Absolutely the best knifemaking video in my collection. I am going to try making a New York Special style knife and I was wondering what stock thickness do you use, and do you also use the 3" wheel for the blade bevels on this knife?

Old 03-13-2006, 05:03 AM
Steel Addict

Steve,

Please let me add that this is a great set and has already helped me alot!

One question please: Any tips for using the round file to blend the radius between handle and guard? You make it look so easy, but my file barely bites the metal and gouges the heck out of the wood, making things a bit uneven

Thanks,

John Frankl

Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 AM

Rick: Thanks for your kind remarks, I'm happy that the video is of some help. I use 3/16" stock for the NY Special and, yes, the 3" wheel on that blade, too.

John: Thanks, also, for your nice comments. I am not sure what you are asking, it does help to use a sharp file and one the is not too coarse. Also, you can wrap a piece of sandpaper, or even a torn-off strip of used 400x belt, to sand the guard/wood juncture. But I'm not sure what you are asking, I'm sorry. Perhaps P.M. me or give me a call with more detail.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 03-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Skilled

Steve,

what is the "grease stick" you are using on disc grinder? What does it do exactly?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-16-2006, 09:21 AM

I got that "grease stick" from RCH Supply, also. I'm sure that most, if not all, of the suppliers offer that item. It cools the disc grinding process and helps put an, "almost polished" finish on the item that you are flattening, be it blade, guard face, handle/bolster ares, or whatever. It also can allow you to get more service from the sandpaper. When the paper seems to be worn out, apply a little grease and it will give it new life, to some degree.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 03-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Registered

Steve,
Great video! As I watched, I commented to my wife on the many segments that you appeared to make seem so easy, but really get perfected with time and practise. At the same time, I appreciate how much detail you put in and explained. It will me a great learning tool that I will refer to many times, I am sure.

It will be a challange to find some of the supplies here in India. I wonder if there is something else that could be used in place of the grease block for the sanding.

Thanks again!
Norris
Old 03-16-2006, 10:13 PM

Sure glad you like it and found it helpful. Thanks. Just use anything that's greasy/waxy, in a pinch. Maybe a fine buffing compound? Heck, try beeswax! It's not a "must" item, but really is nice, once you get used to using it. Not really, again, a "must have" item. Lard, Crisco, or the like, anything to smooth thing out a bit. Minimal amt. is probably best to stat with.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 04-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Registered

Steve,
Great DVD, I have learned some good tips and will recommend it to other novice makers over here.
Col
Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM

Wild Bill: Here are Ken McFall's comments re: SS300 White and SS306 Green RCH Compounds from another Green Chrome thread:
[QUOTE]
Steve

Knife and Gun finishing Supply carries both of these compounds . The catalog number for
306 is AB 806 and the number for 300 is AB 852. Jim and Meg Kier gave them these numbers years ago,
http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/c...0_products.htm
Ken

Thanks for the kind words, Col. I appreciate it and am happy that the DVD is useful.

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Steve; 05-02-2006 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Enthusiast

Steve as some of the others have commented you make it look too easy. It is interesting on your grinding to start out on the 8 inch and then go to the three inch! A very good video and the close ups are done very nicely . A good value nonetheless. Mike
Old 05-22-2006, 05:33 PM

I just use the 8" wheel to remove more metal, faster, it' not really a necessity, just one of the things that I've done in the past that works for me. It actually is a little touchy and some might find it easier to use the smaller wheel all through the blade grinding steps, as you get a more defined, deeper groove for the wheel to stay in on a fighter blade with a 3 or 4" wheel. As with anything, practice makes things easier. It's not really easy, but after a few thousand blades, things do become more familiar, even easier to do than for the first, say, 10-20 blades. Hand, eye, muscle coordination comes with training and repetition. Any grinding process is going to be very difficult that first couple of times, I'm sure for most.
Thanks for the report, Mike.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 06-30-2006, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

Sub-hilt Video

Steve, there is no reason for you to remember this, but Ron Lake introduced us at the first ECCK show at the Meadowlands in about 1990. I remember because you were very kind in your comments about my knives at the time....I'm sure more than the quality warranted, but I enjoyed it just the same.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that my copy of your sub-hilt video showed up in the mail today. It was best evening I've spent in front of the TV in a long time. I really enjoyed the level of detail from start to finish. My thanks to you and Center Cross for doing such a fine job. Also, thank you for signing the cover and the personal note inside, that was an unexpected treat.

Sincerely,

Thad Buchanan
Old 06-30-2006, 11:45 PM

Thanks Thad. I honestly don't recall meeting you, but I'm glad we've met, anyway. Maybe we'll see you in NYC next Feb at ECCKS? Must be a great guy if Ron hangs around with you!

Thanks for the good report on the DVD. It's always good to have a satisfied customer. We tried hard to present everything we could in the video in an understandable fashion. Some things are lacking, I'm sure, but in general, I've been pleased with it.

NRA Endowment Member
Old 07-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

I think Ron let's me hang around because he has fun nit picking my work! Seriously, he's been very generous in sharing his expertise over the years and I value his friendship a great deal.

I would love to come to New York someday, but probably not this February. For the last 15 years life was too busy and I've just been making knives for local folks. I've just started attending some of the shows again a year ago. Las Vegas in Feb. and the Blade show 2 weeks ago were my first knife related trips outside of Oregon in a long time. I feel like I need to get a few more shows under my belt before a face a room full of New Yorkers. I will be in Chicago though in September however. If you're going to be there, I'll make a point of stopping by your table and reintroducing myself. Otherwise, I'll catch up to you farther down the road.

Thanks again for what you did on the DVD.

Thad
Old 07-02-2006, 12:40 AM

We'll see you in Chicago then. Looking fwd. to meeting you.

NRA Endowment Member

Tags
blade, knife, knives