MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Registered

Exhibiting at Knife Shows

Well, once I get on the forum, you can't shut me up........

Thanks to all who shared wisdom on the background removal around inlayed material. Great info. I can't wait to try it. I'll keep you posted on my successes.

Next question...about knife shows...I have considered exhibiting at a knife show for a little exposure. Has everyone had experience with this? What do I need to know about doing this for the first time? What do you wish you knew before doing it for the first time? Any shared experience is more information than I currently have, so feel free to spill it all out. Thanks in advance.

Reid Smith
RDS Engravers
Matthews, NC (just outside Charlotte)
Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Guru

I'll try to help you here Reid.

Shows are a great venue to get your name out there, and to get a feel for the type of client that's attracted to each event.
You'll experience first-time jitters for sure, but be cool, be yourself, and treat everyone who visits your table with consideration and respect.
Sometimes it takes several repeat shows in the same arena until those potential clients are comfortable with you.

What I regret not doing early on is getting to know more fellow exhibitors better.
So now, the first thing I do is get to know my table neighbors.
The next thing I do is seek out people who's work I greatly admire, whether it be engraving colleagues or knife artisans.

The thing is, within the custom knife community there's more fellowship extended than in any other trade-related organization
that I'm familiar with.
If you're an up-front guy, you'll get back ten-fold.

Overnight success is a rare and tenuous occurance.
It takes time to build a reputation, and integrity to maintain it.

Les Robertson's forum has archived threads on doing shows also. Knife Show Search

Tim

Old 08-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Steel Addict

Knife Shows

Reid,

Welcome to the Forum...You have the opportunity to learn from the talented people that contribute here.

I don't know how far you want to travel to go to a show? There are two knife shows in my Washington, DC area. One is the Greater Shenandoah Valley Knife Show from 3/31-4/2 in Harrisonburg, VA, and the Chesapeake Knife Show from 12/10-12/11 in Timonium, MD.
I will be demonstrating engraving at both of these shows.

If anyone needs more information on these shows feel free to email me.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts

Tags
knife