MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:04 PM
Registered

Motor & VFD package to good to be true???

Just getting started in the hobby.
I am doing research before I purchase my tools.
Why is this package NOT good for running a 2''X72'' grinder??
http://dealerselectric.com/Package-K...0-202-H1-U.asp
Old 09-22-2017, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast

I too would like to hear comments on this package, especially the VFD.

dms
Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

Motor seems like its a little slow for a grinder, I run a 3600rpm on mine and wouldn't want to cut that in half for general use. Not critical of course, and you could put a 2-1 pulley ratio on to double the speed at the expense of torque, just personal preference. The VFD also isn't rated to be rustproof, could be a problem unless you put it inside a dustproof enclosure. Seems pretty good other than that though
Old 09-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I just saw this thread.... I've dealt with VDFs and their associated motors for years. I can tell you that those type of "open" VFDs are at best, a headache waiting to happen, particularly in a grinder application. I can't count the number of times I have fielded phone calls and emails asking for help with them..... ranging from the initial setup, to having them suddenly stop working, which is generally due to grinding dust getting into them and causing shorts/burn outs.

My advice is simple, buy a KBAC VFD (24D, 27D, or 29D, depending on the HP motor you wish to run) and you likely will never have to buy another.....buy ANY of the open VFDs with the "push buttons" on them, and be prepared to buy another.

I've own exactly TWO marathon motors for grinder applications.....and both quit within a couple of months. Never again. Leeson or Baldor are the only two brands of grinder motors I will purchase if it's being used for a grinder.

I suppose you can look at in one of two ways.....

1. If all you are concerned with is the initial cost, and don't mind spending money again and again to replace it, then the VFD/Motor in the link is for you.

2. If you want a one time purchase, that will do what it's suppose to, and last, go with a KBAC VFD and either a Leeson or Baldor motor. It's going to require an initial investment of $700-$800, but for that money you're buying something that will just plain work, and not have to mess with, or replace time and again.

I personally run KBAC 29D controllers, and Leeson 3HP motors on my grinders..... they've been reliable and trouble free since day one.

As it applies to grinders, and VFD setups, it's best to use a 1740-1800rpm motor with the KBAC VFDs, and set the internal jumper inside the VFD to "Double Speed". VFDs have various effects on a motor....in the case of running a 3450-3600 rpm motor on a KBAC VFD with the internal jumper set to "Single Speed".... the motor's torque is cut in half. Using one of the rpm motors I mentioned and setting the internal jumper to "Double Speed" will double the top speed of the motor, but allow it to maintain full torque, versus halving the motors torque using a 3450-3600rpm motor with the internal jumper set to "single speed".

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
advice, baldor, bee, buy, case, dust, grinder, grinding, hobby, leeson, motor, package, problem, simple, tools, vfd