MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Steel Addict

Surface Grinder Belt Conversion

OK, I picked up a nice 6 x 12 surface grinder two years ago. it have been a good grinder and I got a great deal on it, but I have wanted to convert it from the stone wheels to 2 x 72 belts for a while.

I know its controversial and some say you loose all accuracy buy I figured I'd gain more than I would loose. as it turns out I lost nothing in accuracy and gain the ability to rough surface with a 50 grit belt or do a fine finish with a higher grit 220 belt. I have found it is cutting quicker and cooler too. I am running the speed much slower also to get the same work done. I can now also surface other things like wood or micarta that I could never have done with the stone wheel.

with three folders and a few sample pieces ground I am getting between a .0005 and 0 for a taper over 5 inch's. that is totally fine for the work most of us do.

I started out with a stock manual 2 x 12 machine. I ordered a drive wheel from SunRay. they are great to deal with, you just have to make sure you know what you want and tell them. I actually sent a cad drawing with notes on it so there was no confusion.

I was worried when I first started thinking about changing over that I didn't want to alter my grinder in a way that I couldn't go back to its original configuration if it didn't work out. I happened across a picture where someone used muffler clamps to secure the upright bar to the spindle housing. when I saw it, it seamed like an easy way to go that didn't require me to do a lot of machining. the bar seams nice and stout and doesn't vibrate at all.

I found a tracking wheel on Ebay for 25 bucks.

with a little welding I had it all together in a short time.

and the finished set up... and yes I know there isn't a guard.

if your on the fence about maybe converting over, my recommendation is do it!, do it now!

Erik

Tags
back, bee, belt, belts, buy, conversion, cutting, easy, finish, grinder, guard, knife, knives, make, micarta, post, stone, surface, welding, wheels, wood