MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:42 AM

KMG Clone with 2HP VFD

Im in the process of bulding a 2x72 KMG clone. Im looking to run a 2HP motor with a VFD. Im looking for some input on motor and VFD choices. Im leaning towards 240V. Im looking to do this as cheap as possible obviously, but I dont want to sacrifice quality. I also would like to run a 9" disc grinder off of the same shaft if anyone has done this also. I hope this isnt too redundant, I searched old threads but couldnt find much in the way im trying to go. Thanks in advance
Old 03-02-2017, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Of course you want to ensure you use a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) motor. Personally, I purchase my motors and VFDs from: http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/

Hands down, I would recommend KBAC VFDs. There are cheaper ones out there, but the KBAC controllers are the best suited for grinder applications, and will last. My advice is to stay away from the cheaper VFDs.....particularity those that have the digital readouts on them... and the "up"-"down" arrow pads that you press. I can't count the number of emails and phone calls I've fielded, trying to help people having issues.

Although I use 3hp motors on my grinders, which require the KBAC 29D controllers, Electric Motor Wholesale has 2hp motors and KBAC 27D controllers (the one you need for a 2hp)

Here are the links to the motors/controllers I use:

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/10001-KBAC-29D/

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/LEESON-113890/

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-03-2017, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the input! I will check out those links.
I was wondering if I should go 1725 or 3450 rpm. I see some like what Beaumont sells come with 3450. I know i wont be using it at that rpm but the versatility would be there for other equiptment. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by Flatlandsforge; 03-03-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
If you're going to use a VFD, go with a 1725 or 1800 rpm motor. Inside the controller is a jumper for "double speed"....just set that to double speed....otherwise if you use a 3450 motor, and leave it at single speed the torque is reduced dramatically. It has to do with the frequency a 3450 motor runs at.... and how the VFD interprets it..... long story short, if you run a 3450rpm motor, you'll be "tripping" the "circuit breaker" inside the VFD.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-10-2017, 04:24 PM

Thanks so much for your information. Greatly appreciate it.

Tags
2x72, advice, arrow, cheap, digital, disc, grinder, kmg, leeson, motor, press, vfd