MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Question Sourcing a 2X72 grinder motor?

I am in the middle of my 2 x 72 grinder build. I have all the metal and i am trying to find a motor. I thought I could use a DC motor and make it variable speed. But given some research I am not sure that is a good idea so I am going with a AC motor and use pulleys of just have it fixed speed.

The hold up now is the motor. I think I will get a 3/4 to 1 hp motor but I can't seem to find one...cheap. I mean if I want to pay $150 for one I can. I would really rather not.

Any idea's where to get one on the cheap? I am looking on Craig's List, Ebay, etc but people are REALLY proud of motors. I have looked at old tools (drill presses, table saws, etc) but nothing is turning up. I hate to buy a perfectly good tool just for the motor.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Ed
Old 01-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Enthusiast

I looked in the yellow pages and went to motor repair shops and got my motor. I got one at the 2nd place I went and found I could have done better at another place. If you want to go vairable speed the best way is to go with a 3ph motor and a VFD. With your pullies use a step pulley and you can get 3 speeds. Ed

Last edited by Ed of all trade; 01-12-2016 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Check out dealerselectric.com for motor/control packages. Here's a link to a 1hp/3ph motor with Teco VFD for under $200. http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?...=131&PID=24790

I purchased a 1.5 hp/3 ph (3,600 RPM) package with the Teco VFD for my build, and it works flawlessly. It's easy to wire up, and I added external controls (POT, on/off, FWD/STP/RVS). My grinder is direct-drive, so the VFD is great for speed control without having to change step pulleys.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

also check out surpluscenter.com they have good prices some times.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:01 AM

I have a 1HP farm duty (from Tractor Supply) that I made many knives with. The switch doesn't work. For the last year or so when I was using it as my primary grinder, I just plugged and unplugged it--probably just needs a switch.

It works fine.

email me at: andy_garrett@live.com

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 AM

Here's where I got mine to build a Coote contact wheel grinder for work. I added a 20amp toggle switch to the wiring box for operator control.
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...6C_(0.33_-_2HP)

Tags
2x72, build, buy, coote, drill, easy, fixed, grinder, knives, made, make, metal, motor, old tools, repair, steel, supply, switch, tools, vfd