MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:54 AM
Enthusiast

Sam,
I'm planning on using the spring loaded lever that was on my little Delta 1"belt x 5"Disc sander they had for the table lock down. I will just use the nut and bolt arrangement for the Delta.
I will either tack weld a bolt to the back side of the Kalamazoo table for the lever to go onto or use a special bolt (possibly off the Delta, I have to look at it) that grabs the inside of the hole with "ridges".
You could always purchase a spring loaded lever handle from somewhere.
I'll let you know what method of attachment I use.
DAVID
Old 02-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Enthusiast

Sam, I just took a look at my little Delta sander and they did NOT use a special bolt with ridges on the shaft just near the underside of the head to grip a hole.
They used a regular hex head bolt and the head of the bolt is captured inside a female hex that is cast into a bracket/mount on the sander.
I think the easiest and best method for me to modify the Kalamazoo sander to accept the locking lever handle is to tack weld a hex head bolt to the back side of the platen where they had the existing bolt go through for the table to clamp to. The spring loaded lever off the Delta has a female threaded hole for the bolt to thread into.
DAVID

Tags
bee, belt, belts, blades, brand, building, carbon, design, easy, flat, grinder, grinding, hand, heat, heat treatment, knife, knife making, make, making, material, motor, newbie, sanding, sharpening, steel