MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 PM

New Cheap Tools.

So, Harbor Freight was having a big sale this weekend. I am fortunate to have one locally as well as a Tandy's Leather store.

I picked up a new welder, media vibrating bin, arbor press, media blaster, air compressor, etc.

I'll be experimenting with some new types of finishes on some upcoming knives. Keep ya posted.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-11-2014, 05:47 AM
Steel Addict

New tools...life is good. Nice score.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Steel Addict

Yeah, I hit the Springfield MO. store last week. Didn't get much but did get some air compressor accessories and a combo square and some dental picks for my gunshop.

New tools are always nice!

D.B.A Craig's Outdoor Sports
Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 11-28-2014, 08:12 PM

Is it worth it shopping at Harbor?
I am debating whether or not to save and buy quality, or go affordable and roll the dice?

Also I am not too sure where to begin on everything, whether I am going to be forging or cut off. And, if I were to go cutoff if I should be outsourcing or attempting to do this myself.

Any advice?

Twitter: Elliot Fox @ VulpiniKnives
Old 11-30-2014, 01:39 PM

As with all things, you have to weigh the pros and cons of tool choice.

My skills do not exceed what I can accomplish with modestly priced tools. When they do, perhaps I will buy better stuff. Until then, I want the options afforded to me by having many cost effective tools (including a home made No-Weld grinder (thanks Tracy Mickley)) rather than a $3000 top of the line grinder and little else.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Registered

My take on HF and Menards (cheap Lowes) is that the tools are cheap. Cheaply made and cheap to buy. That is not all bad. If I were a professional, I doubt I would use the tools. However, I am not. I have a compressor, nail guns, shop vac, various hand tools. If I used them everyday they would probably be worn out by now, but I use them just a few times a month/year so they work just fine. I have a small drill press and it is not precision by any stretch but WAY better then hand drilling with a cordless.

You almost always get what you pay for but sometimes you don't need a top of the line.

Ed
Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Skilled

Not that i make a point to post on necro posts, but harbor freight is probably the best place to buy hand tools from. All of there house brand hand tools carry a lifetime warranty. last week I returned 4 ratcheting clamps, a set of files, and a pair of vice grips. They were replaced without any questions or a receipt of sale.

Tags
advice, brand, buy, drill, files, forging, grinder, guns, hand, home, home made, knives, leather, made, make, post, press, sale, shop, small, store, tools, weld