MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 PM
Steel Addict

Round column vs. dovetail mill

Hey all,

Been a long time since I've posted. Haven't done much in the way of knives for quite awhile now. anyway.....

I'm pondering getting a bigger mill for the back room at my store. I'm doing gunsmith work now and have a need for a bigger than my sherline 5400 milling machine.

I'm trying to decide if I really would need to spend the extra to get a mill with the dovetail column or if the round column would work for me. I don't have room of the funds for a knee mill and have been looking at the different ones Grizzly sells. I have a friend who bought the higher end dovetail mill with the tapping feature and he likes it. I've debated getting it.

But, then I see their heavy duty round column mill/drill combo is cheaper and I'm wondering if I really will have a real need for the dovetail column. I don't think I'll ever need to lift the head enough in gunsmith and knife work to have to worry about redialing it in.......

What are your thoughts? Again, mainly for gunsmithing and occasional knife work.

HELP ME DECIDE!

D.B.A Craig's Outdoor Sports
Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 07-14-2014, 09:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Craig, a dovetail column will be more rigid and may possibly be more accurate.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast

If there is any way possible, get the dovetail. The differance in drill bit lengths and workpiece size/shape can stack up and leave you wishing for more room.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Steel Addict

Well, my home central air crapped the bed on me so a mill is no longer in my immediate future.

Oh well, I'll probably still save up and get a dovetail or a knee later on.

Thanks

Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 PM

I prefer dovetail mill. The advantage of the dovetail mill is that I can see the head will slide up and down the column. This gives me a greater range.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Steel Addict

Well, I've about decided to just go with the round column mill. I'm hiring a guy who's been through the Colorado School of Trades for Gunsmithing to help with gun work at the store. He took a look at all the different mills at Grizzlies the other day and said I should just go with that one.

Is it the best option? No. But it is the cheapest option for the room I have to put it in at the store and still work on 110volt. So, that is my only option. When and if I ever move the store to a building with a real shop in it I will then be getting a Bridgeport or similar. Until then I will deal with the lemons I have.

So, off to the banker's next week and then to buy a new toy!

Knifemaker and Gunsmith

Last edited by Craig B.; 09-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 01:13 PM
Skilled

Craig, I dont know if this would apply to you or not, but I've been looking on Craigslist for a while and searching key phrases like 'mini mill" and "mill drill" there have been some crazy results from a modified drill press to a full on knee mill. Last week I noticed an add for a wrong fu 2hp w custom drop and stand for $1000 bucks....not bad. If I had the cash flow it would be perfect for my little shop.

You have t have someone who is knowledgeable about the machine and the patience to look, but I've found good deals on there. (I have acoue ground rules..such as always take someone with you who has a gun, and always meet me in a public/safe place...but that's me)

Search Indianapolis for that wrong fu mill....

Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 09-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Steel Addict

Alex I have been checking Craig's list here in Missouri but to no luck. Several Bridgeport's but not many mill drills. So it's gonna be new unless one shows up before Monday. Got a rolling block build of my own, a scope mount and safety change on a Mauser for a customer, and a couple of under hammer builds for myself to do. Stuffs starting to pile up.

Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 09-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Skilled

Craig ,

where is the web page ? I tried to look you up for personal reasons .45 project of mine , and you do not seen to have one ?

Ret, Sgt. Robert D. Yates

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 09-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Steel Addict

Yep, don't have a website at the moment. Just do walkins here at the brick and mortar store. Private message me and I can give you my contact info.

Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 09-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Steel Addict

welp, it's paid for. Went to Grizzlies today and paid for it. Was raining so they are holding it until I can get up there either tomorrow or next week.

Went with their G0705 model and got the 110 conversion kit to convert from 220 to 110. That way I don't have to run electric at the store to run it on plus if I move I don't have to worry about having to have 220. All my tools and machines run on 110 so I figured why stop now!

As soon as I get it up and running and get some of the gun work out the door I'm wanting to get back into trying my hand at folders. I've made some but didn't like how they turned out. I think it will be much easier with the mill.....but time will tell.

Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 09-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Steel Addict

And here it is. Still have to get some 220v ran to run it on but have to wait for a certified electrician since it's going in the back of the store instead of the home shop. Otherwise I'd done have it wired and breaking in the spindle.

Looking forward to using it. Sure will beat the little Sherline 5400 mill I have.

I know I went round column, but this is the biggest mill at the best price I could fit in the back room of my store. So, until I get a bigger place this one will have to do.

Once I get a few gun projects finished I'm going to get back to making folders again. May even mill out an entire blade on this thing just because I can now.

I'm happier than a three legged man at a butt kicking contest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mill pic.jpg (199.4 KB, 21 views)

Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 09-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Skilled

Good deal Craig! I'm super excited for you! Congrats

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Tags
apply, back, bee, blade, block, build, conversion, custom, drill, gun, hammer, hand, home, kit, knife, knives, made, mount, press, project, shop, store, tools