MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Skilled

Chris if youy have any of that S30V left I would like to try a piece of it on a kitchen knife.about 12-14" long by 1-1/2"-2" wide. I'll bring some trading stuff or just let me know what you want for it.
Stan

Old 02-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Master

Stan, you got it bud. The piece I bought from Crucible was 2 1/2" wide meant for kitchen knives. That work for you? I'll cut you off a slab. It's 1/8" thick.

Trading stuff is cool by me.

Chris
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Skilled

Sound great Chris See you tomorrow.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Guru

The hammer-in was good fun. We ended up doing four test strips (three of 1065 steel and one of 1084), one W1 tanto water quench and one 5160 small nessmuk skinner differrntially hardened in oil. There were some interesting effects with the different patterns and clay compositions. We took the final metal down to about 320 and etched. I'll be doing a much better polish and etch to really bring out the hamons and see the subtle effects. No explosions, chlorine gas leaks or boiling, spitting vats of caustic soda...just good fun with old friends and new friends!

Lots of neat lessons for the day...just a few:
1.) 1065 screams at you when overheated by a couple hundred degrees and plunged into water.
2.) "Cherry red" is a relative term dependant on what time of day and how much light is coming into your shop. (see also #1 )
3.) 1" thick wrought iron does NOT "move like butter" under the hammer.
4.) Never, ever turn your back on an eight year old with a handfull of rocks.
5.) Everyone gets wood at my shop....handle material, that is.

...and most important...
6.) Only the really cool smiths can make spalted steel!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...No explosions, chlorine gas leaks or boiling, spitting vats of caustic soda..
Yeah, we were a little disappointed about that.

Thanks for hosting the hammer-in, Don! We had a lot of fun and it was very cool checking out the different effects from clay patterns.

Special thanks also to Capt. Jim, who was freezing his Yankee butt off in PA instead of enjoying the 74 degree weather we had in Bryan Texas! We got a great laugh out of the real Afghan fighter knife (that probably retails for $7 a dozen). There was also a sober moment remembering who defend our freedom in those lonely, desolate back corners of the world - and especially those who don't make it home.

I'm also glad to report that I didn't park the truck on top of Don's rock collection (and I'm hoping I didn't park on top of anything radioactive!)

Thanks again to all who made the day so enjoyable.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Halter
No explosions, chlorine gas leaks or boiling, spitting vats of caustic soda...
There's always next time.

It was a great time all. Thanks a lot. Hey Stan, you cut up that S30V yet? Like I said, don't blame me when you get down to the finer grits!

And Rick, Capt. Jim wasn't freezing his butt off. He's in CA (Bragg).

Chris
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Skilled

No not yet,got a little busy at work so maby this saturday if I'm lucky.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

Chris is right....definately not in Pa.....but Chris you need to fix your geography a bit...I have managed to stay off the left coast all but once in my life....never to be repeated...but Bragg my friend is in N.C. and yes I am still here...

Glad you all had a good time. I am disappointed that nothing blew up but happy to hear this one went without any injuries....and No Don I dont consider your eyebrows getting burned off as an injury...just standard operating procedure
Old 02-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Newsletter

Don, don't forget to send me a story and pictures. The last one you did was perfect. All I did was paste it into the newsletter.

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures!? I seem to recall LOTS of pictures being taken. Chris??? Gonna post any?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Master

OK, got them off my memory card. Don R., I have more out takes from the day. If you need a different size or format, just shoot me an email and I'll get them to you.

I'll give a brief description and see if Donnie can come back and be more specific. He'll be much better at explaining everything that was going on.

First up is Donnie's forge setup. Don't see what you need here? Kick around on the dirt floor a little. It may turn up a hammer, old pair of pilers. You never know...

Next up, the table full of blades to be tested along with one or two that he intends to finish. On the plate is his clay mixture he uses to attain the desired hardness line.

Donnie applying the clay in a particular pattern. A little dab will do ya!

Donnie was very good at explaining different patterns in the clay and the reasons for where it was placed. He was using several different steels, so I'll let him chime in on that...

Then the fun begins while Donnie carefully watches the color of the blade. Admitedly he likes to heat treat at night where he can get a better reading, but this worked for now.

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Master

Here he's quenching in water that was heated beforehand. Don't worry, there is a metal plate on the bottom of the cooler. Otherwise, we might be mopping his shop floor.

After quenching, Donnie explains what is happening to the steel during the cooling process.

A closer image as you can see the transformation in the steel.

Thanks again Donnie for taking your time for all of us there!

Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 03:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Need a CD for the newsletter

Chris, can you send me a CD with the photos at around 6" in the largest direction .jpg and 300 dpi?

Thanks.

Don Robinson
5034 Jane Avenue
Brownsville, TX 78521

956-546-4861
Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Chris, can you send me a CD with the photos at around 6" in the largest direction .jpg and 300 dpi?
You betcha sir. I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Guru

Back in town now...for a couple days. I'll write something up by Saturday for the newsletter. Hopefully I can polish up some of the test peices and get some pis as well.

Chris,
Can you send me more of the pics? I haven't been able to view my video. I can't find the power cord and the battery is dead. Maybe I should break out the metal detector and check the shop floor!

I'll be out in Las vegas all next week, but will have computer access. Then I'll be out in Miss for one of our medieval battles with no computer access...then CA for a few days, then back on the 20th. What fun!

I might be down in the Congo (DRC) for a month this summer as well. Put some knives through some testing for sure down there. Hmmmm....knife-hunting warthogs or wildabeasts....sounds like fun!

Tags
forge, knife, knives