MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Registered

grinding top clips on bowies

Dear Steve:

I've been making knives for years, but I still have problems grinding the top clip on a Bowie style knife. I need help. If you or anybody out there can give me an old Indian trick, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

T. Massey
Old 10-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Living Legend

Do you grind the clip before or after the bevels?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:52 AM
Skilled

I like my 14" contact wheel to grind clips and bevel them. The 14" radius is usually very close to perfect and to bevel the clip I go to the wheel with the point down and at a slight angle, takes very little time but the learning curve took a while.

Old 10-15-2003, 09:54 AM
RIP 11-09-2011

I grind my clips too, but if you start out with a file, you will learn more with fewer mistakes.
Grinding is a shortcut, not a cure all.
The file can be the most useful tool in your shop.
It may be slow, but it is true.
File a few to get started, then rough grind a few and clean them up with the file. Before long you won't need the file anymore.
The biggest advantage to doing this is you don't mess up blades learning.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. My DSL line has been down or I would have answered sooner. I am new at this forum and I don't yet know how to answer individually.

I grind the bevel first on a 10" wheel then flat grind the clip. My main problem is I usually roll it trying to finish it.

Thanks everybody

Terry Massey
Old 10-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Skilled

I am a fan of finishing with a file as well but the complex geometry of the clip bevel is very difficult to do with a flat file. If I could get a curved surface fine tooth file I probably would use one to finish the clip. In the mean time I will stay with the contact wheel method.

Old 10-16-2003, 10:34 PM

I always use the grinder to rough out the clip and then will use a file to draw along the length of the clip and other parts of this area to get things flat. A 1/2" wide flat bast. works fine for me. The flat Swiss files are nice, too. I can't get a ripple-free surface without the file and file-backed sandpaper.

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift
Old 10-19-2003, 08:04 PM
Skilled

The first time I saw a D.E Henry's english style bowie and it's perfectly shaped clip I said - Now that's perfection ......and then along came Buster and raised the perfection bar to almost unreachable heights..... I just hate that Guy...! Him and his and his files keep me awake nights....I can hear him laughing all the from Utah..... Who said Morman's are good Guys..??

Old 10-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Registered

I used to work in S.W. Wyoming. Some of my best beer drinking buds were Mormons. But, it looks like I'm going to have to get off my arse, and break out the files, and do some manual labor. I hate manually doing what a machine is capable of doing, but I reckon my skill level is not up to it. The file it is. Thanks,

T. Massey
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Skilled

old Morman saying........never use a machine when the hand can do it better....... Lets put the hand back in Hand made knives...I think Buster said that......

Old 10-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Registered

Buster gets 10 times (at least) for a knife than I get. Same with Steve. I'm not taking away from them. More power to 'em. They are both as skillful as anyone in this craft. They deserve their sucess. They earned it.

I spent most of my adult life driving trucks. No matter how skillful you are at driving, you will never make 10 times the money that the guy you just passed makes. If you call for directions, and the idiot secretary who doesn't know North from South lands you in a residential area of Cleveland. You've 2 choices. Ruin sombodys lawn or back a mile.

About a year ago I was at home on a rare day off. It was a Tuesday afternoon. I made the mistake of answering my cell phone. I was working on a knife I had promised to a guy. Anyway, I answered the phone, and they said I had to go to West Plains (45 miles away) for a random drug test. I explained I was working on a knife I had promised, and I couldn't go then but I would go in the morning.

I got fired, and found myself unemployable. I now have a "rufusal" on my driving record. I have over 2 million miles of accident free miles driving in 18 wheelers, but I am unemployable. Aint this Nazi Government great? Who would you rather have coming at you on an icy 2 lane. Me, or some city kid who has never even drove a car? And his outrageously expensive taxpayer paid tuituion is going to Senator Smith's good buddy who donated generously.

Anyway, I will never pee in another Nazi Bottle. I'm trying to make a living making knives. I make quality knives. They're not Johnson, or Buster quality, but they're good.

The other day I ran into a guy who bought a knife from me about 5 years ago. Bob. He hunts a lot. My knife is the only knife he uses for skinning. He said "I cant dull it". I really can't take credit for that, but the credit goes to Paul Bos. (the heat treater, for those who don't know Paul Bos). The knife was 440-C. I have read a lot of crap about 440-C on the internet. 440-C is an excellent knife steel when properly heat treated. Paul Bos does it right.

My main steel now is ATS-34. Another customer named Bob awhile back brought his knife back to be sharpened. He had skinned 2 elk and 6 deer with it. It was still sharp, but did need touching up.

I have recently been making knives from a 4 foot diameter sawmill blade. This steel is incredibly tough. It is probably L-6, but I can't say for sure. I heat treated it thus: A heat til non-mag-netic. Then a quench in warm oil. Then, an hour in the oven at 400F. I abused the hell out of the first knife I made out of it. I chopped wood, and even threw it. The point bent, but didn't break. This is some fine steel. If it was only stainless.

Well, I got sidetracked didn't I? I always do. I do however make very fine knives. I'm not just braggin. It's a fact. I would put my mirror finish up against anybodys. I've got a 2 hp buff running at 3400 rpm. I figger I'm worth $10 an hour. I'm lucky to get $5. I just want to make chow, electric and phone. I own my place. I don't want anything from the taxpayer. I figger he's gettin screwed bad enough.

But, if I can grind a clip without using a file, I'm gonna do it. I will attain that before too long, and I won't feel a bit bad about it.

I've rambled long enough.

thanks everybody

T. Massey
Old 10-21-2003, 07:02 AM
Skilled

Mr. Massey you sound angry.... Maybe you have a reason to be so .. It was not my intention to stir up those type of emotions but to point out a different path to get from point A to point B...in the construction of a knife.... I would like to see an example of your work .... I hope you don't take your anger into the shop...
our work reflects our ability to please our fellow Human beings and what the collecters are willing to pay to own these knives, reflects directly on those skills....The machine is an important tool but highly over rated in my humble openion...

Old 10-21-2003, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

I get it close on the grinder and then pull out the files. I can't imagine anything other than a true hollowground clip that a file won't do well. Can you tell I like files? I trust them. All grinders are females. mw

Old 10-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Skilled

Mr Williams you hit the nail on the head.... All my shop machines are Ladies..... They stay up all night scheming of ways to get at my weaknesses.... Each morning I call them by name and lovingly touch each one.... They have brought a lot of joy into this world and in the same motion ripped the flesh on my body, thrown things at me ,punched holes in me, set me on fire and done unspeakable damage to my self esteem..... But I love them ..Without them I am nothing ... without me , they'll just wait for some other man to turn them on.... The sluts... A file is like a dog , trusting, faithful and a friend to the end....

Old 10-21-2003, 01:16 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by T. Massey

But, if I can grind a clip without using a file, I'm gonna do it. I will attain that before too long, and I won't feel a bit bad about it.

I've rambled long enough.

thanks everybody

T. Massey
I don't use files on a clip, and I grind the clip first, and grind it to the finish grit.
I use an 8" wheel for the clip as it is usually not very wide anyway.
I hold the blade with the clip up, and horizontal, grind at whatever angle suits your end purpose, and don't worry about the bevel going down past the point, but make sure to leave enough there, because when you grind the main bevel, it will bring that clip bevel right back in line.

You can use a bigger wheel of course, and I sometimes use a 10". You can of course flat grind it, I'm just telling you what works for me.

You might try this and see if it works for you, although it might take a bit of getting used to.

Tags
blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives