MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:23 AM

Cutting 5mm to 7mm stainless steel 440 grade using what?

Hey guys, I'm new on this forum, so if I posted in the wrong place, I apologize. I have spent some time trying to find an answer to my question to no avail.

I want to cut 5mm to 7mm thick stainless steel 440 grade, either A, B or C, but I have no idea what to use. Money is not a consideration, but power is. Where I will be doing my work, I will have a maxim power output of 2.5 KW. I was thinking of a plasma cutter, but they're power requirements starts from 3 KW. I was thinking of a good angle grinder with even better blades, but I have no clue if they can cut that thickness especially in SS and that grade. I was also thinking of a diesel power generator to power a good plasma cutter, but it seems to much of a hassle. What do you guys think?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:28 AM
Guru

An angle grinder can cut the as well as a portable band saw made for cutting steel. They can be mounted in a vise or special hand made jig to cut steels. Do a search on mounting portable band saws for cutting stainless. And use a small amount of cutting fluid on the top ot the material to be cut. I myself use an angle grinder with cutting discs.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:58 AM

Thank you for you answer. I will probably buy an angle grinder with some good stainless steel blades to see how fast they cut.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Guru

Use abrasive cutting discs, the reinforced kind, no saw blade type wheels, they are not made for cutting metal. Only abrasives should be used in an angle grinder and you want a variable speed one at that.

Tags
angle, band saw, blade, blades, buy, cutting, grinder, hand, hand made, jig, knife, made, material, metal, portable, question, saw blade, small, special, stainless, stainless steel, steel, thickness, vise