MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Newbie belt sander help

Hey guys,
I knoe I need to shhot for a KMG. And I plan to start saving for 1. But I am just now starting to get into the hobby and want to get a belt sander as I dont have one. Lowe's sells a 3/4 hp 4x36 sander with an 8inch disk.

Does anyone have any experience with this one? Or is there any other good one I can get for under $150?

Thanks for the feedback,
Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 PM
Skilled

Hi ya Saw, another Indy guy

I have a HF 4x36 that I use for flattening wood and steel. I also use the 3" wheel for hogging.
I personally use my modified 1x30 for everything. I have been using it for 4 years now and
not much I can't do with it. By no means am I recommending getting one.

I have heard that the Sears 2x42 would be a good starter. It would get you introduced to
using a 2" belt and basic grinding techniques.

Good Luck and Have Fun !!

Troy
Old 06-04-2017, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

I found it on the Sears website. It is a jet 2x42 with disc sander. It is $525.00. I will start saving. Thanks for the tip
Old 06-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Guru

$525 Jet grinder?

For less than that you can get a 2x48 and for a little more you can get a Grizzly for about $600 shipping included.
Here is a Dayton 2x42 for $202 free shipping from Zoro.
https://www.zoro.com/dayton-beltdisc...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

I bought the Dayton 2x48, but it was on sale for $228 when I bought it and now they sell it for $356, but that still includes free shipping for a 67 lb. machine.
https://www.zoro.com/dayton-belt-gri...n7/i/G2178741/
It is better than a Kalamazoo but it needs a modification to the platen which is 2 1/2" wide, but it will take a 2 1/2 x 48 belt as well as 2x48. I bolted a piece of 2" wide stainless onto the platen. It is built like a tank, doesn't vibrate, but the tracking adjustment needs an allen wrench, but it tracks straight with no wobble. Quiet too and has a totally enclosed fan cooled motor. TEFC, you need this on any metal grinder.

The Grizzly 2x72 is what a lot of makers start with. It is fast like the ones above, suited more for steel than wood, but if you're careful you can do wood and synthetics without burning them. It comes with a buffer arm too, which could be modified for a wheel or disc.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knif...campaign=zPage

So for the monetarily challenged the Dayton 2x42 is the best deal for $202 and Tru-Grit.com has a plethora of 2x42 belts. I use the Dayton 2x48, but never would have bought it for the price they have it at now, I would have went with the 2x42 because I am monetarily challenged as well.

I live in an apt. and have my grinders on a big heavy duty cart so I can take them outside. My Delta is a 1x42 with and 8" disc. It is slower and suited for doing the handles and such. The Dayton 2x48 is powerful and very fast for hogging steel. The 3/4 motor is powerful enough for it. So there you go, three of the most economical grinders you can buy. The Grizzly has some tracking issues that are easily fixed with some tape from what I hear.

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-04-2017 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old 06-04-2017, 04:35 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you! I ordered it from zoros! It is back ordered, but happy birthday to me! I am pumped! It looks like a great machine and my first belt grinder! Yay! As soon as it gets in I will order some belts from trugrit.com. i know nothing of belts any suggestions? On where to start? Or just look for a variety pack, if they have those for sanding belts?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Guru

Well You want to start with 50 grit or 60 for taking the steel down. Do Not mix steel and wood belts btw unless you want steel chips in your wood. Then you want some 100 grit to clean up the deep grooves made by the 60 grit. Don't go cheap on the belts, use ceramic for metal and zircon and AO for handles . I have belts all the way up to 15 micron which is like 1200 grit, it clogs up fast, but I don't recommend it to you as its really just a polishing belt. Buy a belt cleaner and buy belt lube for your ceramics, they will run cooler. Some belts already have the lube in them.

But you want belts to at least 400 grit and you also want a fine scotch brite belt for satin finishes. Don't worry about the price as SB belts last practically forever almost unless you put the edge up and cut the belt. Do not put the edge up with a scotch brite belt, it will catch and possibly hurt you, edge down. Other guys here can tell you what they like. I use AO belts, but only for wood or brass, they just don't last long. Remember the finer the grit the faster it clogs up, so use your belt cleaner.

My 1x42 I can wet grind with so I buy silicone carbide belts and 8" discs. You probably know it as wet-dry sandpaper. Don't mess around with rock grinding unless you have a background in lapidary. The dust will kill you if grind dry. That reminds me, get a good respirator with good particle filters at the least. I use HEPA filters which block all dust particles. As I said I have my grinders on a cart and take them outside, the dust will make a mess out of your garage if you don't stay on top of it. So a good wet dry vac is in order as well.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast

Yey! Estimated delivery is 7/5!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Guru

They on back order Ed?

Ed here is a good video on belts to buy from Walter Sorrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jwHWHU57Uc

And here is a link to Grit/mesh/microns conversion table.

http://www.gessweincanada.com/category-s/11328.htm

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-05-2017 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Big addition
Old 06-08-2017, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the links! They are greatly appreciated!

Tags
2x72, art, back, bee, belt, belt sander, blade, disc, fixed, flat, g10, grinder, grinding, hobby, kmg, knife, metal, motor, newbie, products, sander, stainless, steel, wobble, wood