MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Enthusiast

shop floor recomendations

i got a amish made shed, well its more of the cottage type that is going to be my shop with 3/4 in. plywood, what kind of flooring should i use being that there will be blade grinding going on...any ideas?

thanks
Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM
Steel Addict

Since no one has touched this one I will give it a shot. I am assuming that what you speak of is pretty much a roof over with walls. Ideally concrete makes a great floor but I get the feeling that may cost prohibitive.

Crushed stone will work well. If you do something like pack the base and the wet the stone as you are leveling and at least pack it with a hand tamp! You can buy them at the box stores, or a piece off 6x6 with a couple of handles will build you what I call a Fred Flintstone tamper!!

Whatever you do make sure you take the time to do it right so as, to not create yourself a trip hazard!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 09-06-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 AM
Enthusiast

oh, i guess i should have been more clearer....the floor is 3/4in. plywood...and i was wondering what i could use for flooring over that being that i am grinding knives. - thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Steel Addict

I use a cheap mat that I bought from somewhere, can't remember now. However it is large enough that it takes trip hazard out of the scenario. The any water spills and the grinding dust that get on it sticks to it. Periodically I take it out and spread it under my fig tree, as and iron supplement. If I wanted to put something down to protect the plywood I would use a good coat of garage paint.

check out this search:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...espv=2&ie=UTF-
8#q=garage+paint&tbm=shop

Remember it will need to be clean and free of dust to get a bond. There are many different price ranges for such a thing! The edges of the plywood are going to show anyway unless you blocked for them and then fastened tight enough to keep them from moving up and down.

If you just want to lay down a wear surface go to the box store and find a good quality oil based paint. A good primer for oil will make it last longer!

The mat is the way to go on the grinder as it can be cleaned up outside the building and there is less dust on the floor itself!! Best advice I can give you on that!!

EDIT: What I used is something like this. I bought two of them and taped them together on the back side!
Check out the link below:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/The-Gas-Gril...7-f6cb17db3b83

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 09-11-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Tags
advice, bee, blade, building, cheap, coat, grinder, grinding, iron, knife, knives, made, make, ore, paint, shop, show, stone, store, surface, water, what kind